Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Dale Bredesen recommend limiting Saturated Fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Dale Bredesen recommend limiting Saturated Fat?

In his RECODE protocol Dale Bredesen recommends a low-carb high-fat ketogenic diet, but then he says to limit saturated fat. I wasn't able to find the rationale for that recommendation, unless he's subscribing to the SFAs-cause-heart-disease theory and is extending that theory to include vascular dementia. But that theory never had any good evidence behind it and the recent PURE study couldn't find any connection between SFAs in the diet and heart disease.

Given that Dr Brewer has attended Dale's training course, can he shed any light on Dale's reasoning?

I was not able to get confirmation of my understanding. But my impression was similar; that he was yielding to previous interpretations that saturated fats should be avoided. He seems to focus on the cognitive impairment science and just adopt the Functional Medicine interpretation of everything else. His wife is a Functional primary care doc. And the IFM runs his training seminars.

Comment

What fats are good then? I thought saturated was best.

Comment

Robin,

You may be aware of the big disagreement between the Keto and the Vegan camps on which diet is best. The thing is that people can differ enough in their genetics to make it difficult to determine without having a genetic test along with an understanding of their current metabolism. HMGCR and PPAR alpha are examples of genes which deal with saturated fat metabolism, and some people process saturated fat better than others. One other thing of interest in the Keto camp now is for those whose lipids go through the roof when they eat a LOT of saturated fat. Some people say that it is a "natural" reaction, but others say not so fast given the understanding of how lipids affect cardiovascular disease for instance. I have heard that people who present with those very high lipid levels are able to significantly moderate the increase by changing from saturated fat to mono-unsaturated fat. So, drown in olive oil instead of that big steak every night.

Comment

I went from a vegan diet that gave me an A1C of 4.9 but raised blood glucose fasting and after some carbs ... and my lipids were messed up...switched to a low carb high fat diet and added niacin and high vitamin c and other supplements and my lipids are optimal but my a1c has risen to 5.8 and FBG to 110 at times. So do I go back to vegan with grains and fruits and veggies to fix my a1c and risk messing up my lipids? It’s like I need two different diets for two totally different issues.

Comment

That's really counter-intuitive. Are you saying your blood sugar and A1c drop when you eat carbs & go back up when you stop eating carbs?

Comment

• Robin
              Robin commented
              Editing a comment
              No, what I am surprised about is that my new low carb, high fat diet along with niacin totally corrected all my lipid panel including my Lp(a)...which is what I came to Prev Med for in the first place. So, I'm thrilled. But, I just got a new reading 11 months into this new lifestyle change and my A1c has risen to 5.8 from 4.9 at my initial tests back in January. My insulin measured 3 (u/ml) at the same blood draw and my FBG was 91. So it said my estimated average was 119 for the A1C. This confuses me obviously because I do everything I can to eat very low low carbs (no sugars) drink lots of water, exercise....all that good stuff. Almost a full point raise in A1C. All of my other markers tested in the optimal ranges.
          Working...
          X