Early Pancreatic Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Pancreatic Cancer

They see it on my CT, a .5 cm cyst at the tail, body junction on the pancreas. So, they want to watch it for a year. Unacceptable! VIPoma!

Unfortunately, the only blood detects pc only after too late!!!

So, how do I push insurance and doctor to order one of the following?

I could go to the ER and exaggerate my dull left abdomin side pain, which has gotten worse over the past month?

Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP): A flexible tube with a camera and other tools on its end (endoscope) is put through the mouth to the small intestine, near the pancreas. ERCP can collect images from the area, as well as take a small biopsy with a brush.

Endoscopic ultrasound: Similar to ERCP, an endoscope is placed near the pancreas. An ultrasound probe on the endoscope locates the mass, and a needle on the endoscope plucks some tissue from the mass.

Laparoscopy is a surgical procedure that uses several small incisions. Using laparoscopy, a surgeon can collect tissue for biopsy, as well as see inside the abdomen to determine if pancreatic cancer has spread. However, laparoscopy has higher risks than other biopsy approaches.

Percutaneous needle biopsy: Under imaging guidance, a radiologist inserts a needle into the mass, capturing some tissue. This procedure is also called a fine needle aspiration (FNA).

Last edited by degarb; 07-05-2019, 08:42 AM.

Have you asked for a second opinion? I would. Until your doctor(s) recommend a surgery, I don't see how the insurance company is going to be involved. Is there something else with your health that they are waiting on? Did you have the typical VIPoma symptoms and then get an abdominal CT done to verify the diagnosis, or did this come up out of the blue?

Comment

According to a John Hopkins pc pr video, there are international standards, "Which are excellent at determining risk, an who gets be able to get a biopsy.". I wonder how good this could be when there is a 4-6% survival rate, because it is caught too late. Once symptoms appear, usually the person does not have more than 4 month. This is why I think waiting a year to see if it grows is irresponsible.

I am really curious which procedure is less invasive and accessible. And if the labs are coming up to speed with the latest, more accurate tests on the biopsy samples.

I have a dull non descriptive ache in my left abdomin for a bit over last 2 months. The cyst was at the tail body juncture.

Pancreatic Cancer, best I can interpret my research, loves glucose and glutamine. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-05-00-56-48-591_com.google.android.apps.docs.png
Views:	29
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	2067
      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, pancreatic cancer is definitely difficult to detect early and have successful treatment. It is hard to say much else without understanding more on whether you got a second opinion and what the doctor(s) said specifically beyond waiting a year. Do you have other health issues going on such that a year might make a difference?

Comment

Personal background : The Cleveland Clinic in akron could not do a colonoscopy until late this year. My issue is the 2.5 month old dull side pain.

So, I did an end run around the Cleveland Clinic, getting a colonoscopy in July, using University hospital of Cleveland. Follow up with a uh gastroenterology doc, who specializes in pancreatic issues, as well as colon issues, in August.

Trying to educate myself as to the cyst diagnosis options. Hopefully, anything I learn can help others.

I am only a week into taking the pc research seriously. I originally chalked up the cyst as scar tissue from when I tore my spleen in 2014 and focused exclusively on colon ailment research. I still think my odds are in my favor. I probably have undiagnosed persistent peritonitis, localized on my left side, from a Microscopic sigmoid rupture (severe Diverticulitis or crohn's granulomatous), which explains my side pain better than pc in the tail. 20 or 50% of these cysts develop into cancer, depending if in the branch or duct. And, they say 7 years for the cysts to become cancerous, if they do. But once they start going as cancer, you have a death sentence 19 times out of 20.

The early diagnosis of cysts, and removing cyst without taking out entire body, tail, head, needs to be the focus on pancreatic cancer. If not removal, then medications to prevent or delay, or eradicate. Looks like one or more effective pc drugs are on the horizon. Plus, off label uses for statins, Metformin, and Dipyridamole+asprin, to deprive the pancreatic cancer, and slow it.

Still, I have kids, and my diet would be totally different, if I knew I had early Pancreatic cancer. I would also be actively seeking a prescription for a statin and Dipyridamole to use alongside a stricter fasting regime... My guess, at my early stage of putting pieces together, is oxidative stress of fasting + high dose of C+ calcium to block magnesium mitochondria sugar use+ statin + dipyridamole = a blow to pancreatic cancer, which would slow it, buying time for better drug therapies to come out....

I got totally banned from the pancreatic Facebook group for simply asking if anyone tried keto and glutamine restriction for pancreatic cancer. I did reference Dr. Annette Bosworth, hoping for more feedback on her book, which I had not read..... This is not the first time I have heard about keto information being actively surpressed by Facebook. Weird, since I have already dug up a lot of information, about 40 pages of notes in last week. And, you'd think a support group would be all about all options. Especially, one's with a well described biochemistry mechanism.

​​​​​​.. I am an amateur technically bent (obsessive) research addict, who has a curse of thinking of and asking the obvious questions that the experts can't answer. This means I could spend hundreds or thousands of hours trying to understand something with practical ramifications, which most people research for 2 hours. This is why I like research guys like Dr. Ford Brewer, who can do the research for me, and save me time.
          Last edited by degarb; 07-05-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Dr. Brewer said in his recent videos that he is taking patients in case you want to get a personal consultation. I am not sure that the information here and in Dr. Brewer's videos is narrowly focused on your areas of concern. I think that you are looking for wisdom on treating your particular health issues which is difficult to obtain from searching on the Internet. There is a lot of knowledge out there for sure, but it is hard to beat experience. I know of some people who don't trust their doctors and want to determine their own treatment plan. That might work sometimes, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it. I would find out what I can from multiple sources, and then try to find a doctor that I am comfortable with and have an informed conversation. I wish you good luck.

Comment

Totally different scenario, but nearly three years ago a cyst was discovered on my appendix through a colonoscopy and subsequent CT scan. The initial reaction was ‘it doesn’t look like cancer but we can’t know for sure until we take it out.’ It was out three weeks later. Waiting a year to ‘wait and see’ is utterly asinine in my non-medically trained opinion.

Comment

Working...
              X