Announcement

Collapse

Are you really healthy?

We have an upcoming conference on November 8-9, 2019 in Louisville KY. You can register either as a Conference and CIMT participant or Conference and Assessment participant depending on whether you need a re-evaluation. For more information and/or to register online: https://go.prevmedheartrisk.com/squeeze-page

PrevMed is also offering courses online. Our first course is on Cardiovascular Inflammation and we have an upcoming course on Insulin Resistance. The course(s) can be found here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/courses...e-crd-nfl-crs1

We have also changed some of our services and price offerings which can be found on our website here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/services-and-pricing
See more
See less

Very high cardiac calcium score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that unusual distribution of calcium. The Left Main is frequently clean, The RCA is probably a large dominant vessel and the Circumflex is likely a tiny artery. I would get a CT coronary angiogram at a place that knows what they doing to estimate stenosis (narrowing) and to see if you have only coronary artery calcium or is there non-calcified (soft) plaque.

Comment

Just an update since it has been awhile. I am down to 212 now! (47 pounds) I am seeing a Bale-Doneen Dr. in Champagne IL. And all my tests are coming back normal except one, I am Haptiglobin 2-2 so have to stay away from gluten but don’t have much of that anyway since I found out my cac score was 2267. Put me on 400iu of vitamin E to lower my risk. OGTT went well except my 1 hour was 130 which is a little high. Baseline was 91 and 2 hour 88. Had a cimt which showed a small module of plaque but was all calcified. I am 53 and this test said I have arterioles that are 58. Started out taking 10 mg Crestor daily but cholesterol was too low so switched to 5 mg. Last lab for lipids total cholesterol 91 ldl 38 Hdl 47 triglyceride 31 cholesterol/HDL ratio 1.9. Told this to dr now said to take 5mg every other day. Inflammation panel all wnl. So I am doing what I can control by exercising every day and watching what I eat(no bread, pasta, red meat) only drink water and a small glass of red wine . No symptoms but I had to buy a lot more clothes! Anyway just wanted to give all of you an update and thank you for all your past comments. Phil
      Last edited by [email protected]; 08-03-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Sounds great. Did you have any inflammation markers measured with the most common one hs-CRP, but others more for cardiovascular inflammation like Lp-Pla2? Getting enough vitamin D is important, and I am surprised by 400IU daily as that is not a lot. Perhaps you meant 4000IU daily?

Comment

No, all my inflammation markers came back normal but I tested about a month after I started my diet. I take 400 IU a day of vitamin E and this was recommended as I have Haptoglobin 2-2. Thanks Tom. Phil

Comment

Just saw Dr. Brewers video on stress tests. I was feeling pretty good on my progress ( down 52 pounds) labs good with low inflammation. until he stated that Tim Russert died of an MI and had a calcium score of 200! Mine is 2267! Is there any hope!!!!

Comment

• Tom
              Tom commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure there is hope with every day passing. I have been amazed at stories where it would seem like individuals should have had obvious problems due to 90+% blockage of multiple arteries, and yet those people go on living without an issue in the short-term at least. The changes that you are making should decrease the probability of an event, and that is about as good as it gets. When you hear someone bad mouthing calcium in arteries as a very bad thing, just remember that that calcium is probably the reason why you are still walking around.
              Last edited by Tom; 09-02-2019, 09:27 AM.

Great question! The secret here is that Russert didn't modify his diet/lifestyle. Had he taken his diet seriously, he would probably have slowed his inflammation. It's not the calcium score. Calcified plaque is stable. It's the inflammation you want to calm down. That causes the event.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I will keep trying! I guess I have to be glad that I found out about this before I had an event but what a wake up call. Thank you Dr. Brewer for the encouraging words.
              Last edited by [email protected]; 09-05-2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• fatmax
                fatmax commented
                Editing a comment
                Ivor Cummins has an informative interview with William Davis. As a former cardiologist he is convincing.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWJNUWr0iaQ
                Davis has had some success in reversing CVD using high-dose omega3 and Vit. D supplementation with a grain-free and low-carb diet. I have been following much of his advice for about a year. Don't yet know if it will work for me. I'm also on a strict carnivore/keto diet. The only vegetation I eat is asparagus and an occasional avocado.
                He discounts the value of statins in reducing CVD, but I wonder if perhaps he used the wrong statins in his therapy, such as Lipitor, as statins have been shown to be beneficial for individuals with a CAC score over 100.
                I have been using his Mg water formula for a month or so, and I have noticed that my BP has finally normalized. Remarkable! I am still taking perindopril and amlodipine however. In future I may reduce them to see if my BP remains normal.
                Last edited by fatmax; 09-04-2019, 04:03 AM.

Yes I watched that video yesterday, interesting to say the least. Thank you!

Comment

I just listened to a cardiologist Eric Thorn also say that Keto is in no way harmful and/or ever shown to exacerbate heart disease and it may improve it.
                I have been a huge proponent of plant based for last year + since finding out I have CAD, but lately I am coming about and eat seafood, mostly fatty fish a few times
                a week. What really got me though was a vascular surgeon saying he used to be plant based but his blood pressure was climbing and he now eats meat of some type
                every other day and limits his carbs.
                There's ALOT of conflicting information here but what gets me is docs from both sides are sooooooooo adamant about their side and that the other way, either plant based or
                keto will kill you! I don't like this at all. I also see Dr. Brewers videos where he says he eats meat and has shown reversal of CAD.
                Diet has BY FAR BEEN THE MOST DIFFICULT THING FOR ME TO INTERPRET HERE AND I WISH I HAD THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH WHAT TO DO
                I have cut my simple carbs out almost entirely and am really selective and eat less fruit as well. .
                I had my genetic testing and they say I have an Alpolipoprotein E3E3, so I can eat and process fat normally.
                MY only thing about Dr. Davis is I don't see hard data from him on peoples calcium scores lowering on his diet. Has anyone seen this??

Comment

• fatmax
                  fatmax commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Actually it is easy: eat nutritious food and as close to zero carbs as possible. My opinion is that the evidence is clear that a primarily carnivore/keto diet is by far the healthiest. Most plants contain many natural and man-made toxins as well as carbs. Eating a small amount may not be harmful. Yes, I love milk, orange juice, mangos, corn-on-the-cob, watermelon, fried potatoes with onions, biscuits and gravy, and on and on and on. But I will never eat any of them again. I am mystified that anyone would think the ancestral, carnivore human diet of millions of years would be unhealthy. My fasting BG varies from mid-70s to mid-90s. After a meal of chicken, seafood, or beef (often with some asparagus), my BG rises less that 10. My last measurement of insulin was 2.4 and my A1c was 4.7%. My inflammation markers were mostly good and improving. If my diet and meds/supplements don't reduce my CVD and plaque burden then too bad for me.
                  Last edited by fatmax; 09-13-2019, 11:36 PM.

Originally posted by rginnis View Post
                I just listened to a cardiologist Eric Thorn also say that Keto is in no way harmful and/or ever shown to exacerbate heart disease and it may improve it.
                I have been a huge proponent of plant based for last year + since finding out I have CAD, but lately I am coming about and eat seafood, mostly fatty fish a few times
                a week. What really got me though was a vascular surgeon saying he used to be plant based but his blood pressure was climbing and he now eats meat of some type
                every other day and limits his carbs.
                There's ALOT of conflicting information here but what gets me is docs from both sides are sooooooooo adamant about their side and that the other way, either plant based or
                keto will kill you! I don't like this at all. I also see Dr. Brewers videos where he says he eats meat and has shown reversal of CAD.
                Diet has BY FAR BEEN THE MOST DIFFICULT THING FOR ME TO INTERPRET HERE AND I WISH I HAD THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH WHAT TO DO
                I have cut my simple carbs out almost entirely and am really selective and eat less fruit as well. .
                I had my genetic testing and they say I have an Alpolipoprotein E3E3, so I can eat and process fat normally.
                MY only thing about Dr. Davis is I don't see hard data from him on peoples calcium scores lowering on his diet. Has anyone seen this??
                In Ivor Cummins video with Dr. Davis, they did mention a study that Davis had done that showed CAC reversal. I haven't looked it up, but they did mention a study in the video.

I agree with you that diet is confusing. I went vegan for a while several years ago. My calcium score increased anyway. But the more I looked into it, the more I began to think that it is not healthy to completely avoid meat and seafood. These days I eat mostly animal products and very few plant foods. I have come to believe that it is better to focus on glucose and insulin control than it is to focus on whether you eat meat or not. The glucose and insulin focus is entirely consistent with all of Dr. Brewer's videos as well. You need to measure your blood sugar after you eat to ensure that it does not rise above 140, ever. why do you need to control blood sugar? High sugars will glycate the cells in your arteries. It crystallizes them and causes damage. This tight blood sugar control can be accomplished by a vegan or keto or carnivore diet. Any of them can be used to control your glucose properly. Your doctor will probably focus on fasting glucose and will probably not say anything until your fasting glucose is 126 or higher. By then you have already caused major damage to your arteries. If your fasting glucose is > 126, your after meal glucose is going to be well above 140. So if you focus on keeping your after meal glucose lower than 140, you will avoid all of this damage and your fasting glucose will likely stay under 100. You can get an inexpensive glucometer from Walmart to measure this. A glucometer is what the diabetics use to monitor their glucose.

Comment

In reference to Dr. Davis he notes anecdotal evidence with reversing CAD.
                  Searching around his website and forum I found this :-O
                  Not sure if FatMax or others that follow Dr. Davis have seen this and if they care to comment?

https://www.cureality.com/blog/post/...laque-apb.html Track Your Plaque APB

9. February 2008 William Davis (7)I'm posting this intriguing comment from the Track Your Plaque Member Forum because I would like to speak to the Member who posted it.

The Member said:

I tested at 965 last year, and while I have followed the TYP diet and nutraceutical recommendations, I was totally unprepared for my first repeat scan (at the same lab/machine) on January 29, 2008. My result was 4.0, and at first I assumed the rating scale had been changed.

I then noted that 3 of the big four arteries received scores of 0, which means the same in any scale, and that four nodules had disappeared from the scan field.

Wow!!

If this is true, it would represent the biggest success in the Track Your Plaque program--ever! It would be an incredible story to tell, to convince the public and medical community that it is indeed possible, and a cause for popping a bottle of champagne! It would also represent what I would regard as essentially a cure for coronary atherosclerosis, a virtual elimination.

While we have plenty of success in stopping the progression or reducing heart scan scores, we do not have 100% success. I wish we did. The Track Your Plaque program is, to some degree, a work in progress. We learn from experiences, continually adjust to obtain the results we desire. Even as it stands today, the Track Your Plaque program is superior to any program of heart disease prevention known--by a long stretch. But it's not infallible, it's not foolproof.

That's all the more reason I would like to communicate with the Track Your Plaque Member who posted this comment. I would also like permission to view the heart scans themselves. (I can't obtain them nor view them without the individual's permission.) While we often have difficulty judging reversal just by looking at heart scans, presumed reversal to this profound degree should be obvious, even to the naked eye.

I would like to know--in detail--precisely what steps were taken and whether there was anything unique about this person's medical history or in the program they followed. This is all in an effort to learn and help others do the same.

If you are the Member who posted this comment, I would like to hear more. Please post your further thoughts on the Track Your Plaque Member Forum, or privately through our Contact page . Or e-mail us at [email protected].

Comment

We all came from different places, have different ancestry, and differences in DNA, so looking for the 1 magic diet is likely looking for something that doesn't exist.

From my research, I think diets that are whole foods based work, as long as they are not both high fat and high carb. The human body often has 2 pathways to accomplish the same thing. We know that both carbs and fats break down to acetyl-CoA to create ATP, so we developed to be able to use both for fuel.

So now that we know we should be able to eat either or both, how do we decide? By looking at markers like sdLDL, LDL particle number, remnant cholesterol, triglycerides, HS-CRP, FBG, blood pressure, etc. From Dr William Davis, we know that grains and especially wheat is a problem for most people, so the elimination of grains is a good place to start. An interesting point here is many vegetarian diets also eliminate grains, at a minimum those which contain gluten.

From there, keep doing labs and see if your diet is working for you. If not, don't be afraid to change. Look to the experts for ideas, but remember they are pushing something that works for them and some other people, but doesn't work for everyone. I have labs to prove how a high fat diet made me very sick and a low fat, plant based diet has made me better. Following the experts for over 15 years almost killed me, and even though I now have great labs, my heart was already damaged from a high fat diet.

Take Jordan Peterson's daughter, Mikhaila, who gained her health after a life of pain by eating a carnivore diet. She now speaks at low carb events around the world advocating for the carnivore diet. My diet would make her sick and her diet would make me sick. There is not one best diet.

I think there is a very real possibility that our gut biome may be at the center of diet problems. How we feel, how our hormones work, how we digest food, etc is dependant on our gut flora. It may be that some people lack the bacteria to successfully digest carbs or fats. Until science catches up, we each have to be our own doctor and experiment until we find the diet that is healthiest for each of us.

rginnis, I think you might be falling in the same trap I was in for 17 years. The drumbeat for a high fat or keto diet is loud and drowns other approaches out. You start thinking that if all these other people are such strong high fat advocates, maybe I am doing the wrong thing and should also eat a lot of fat. Maybe you should and maybe you shouldn't, but you can't let the loudness of their voices determine what you decide to do.

I don't think there is any debate that Dr Esselstyn took very sick heart patients that other doctors couldn't help, and through a vegetarian diet not only kept them alive, but helped many get rid of their angina and some even reverse plaque. Now Dr Davis has reported similar results with his plan which includes diet and supplements. Remember, our body has multiple pathways, so there are likely at least 2 ways to improve your heart health. I would try the plan you think you can stick to, try it for a while, and retest. If you see good improvement, stick with it. If things stay the same or get worse, try going a different direction. Retest, etc, repeat.

A great project for us would be to define the top 10 or 20 markers for heart disease/health. In other words, what are the best labs for tracking our progress for improving heart health.
                    Last edited by rich; 09-15-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• rginnis
                      rginnis commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Rich and thanks for the feedback. It is Interesting and challenging. I went predominatly plant based since finding out about my CAD (with 1 seafood meal a week on
                      average). Did this for 9 months and CRP was 1.2 and particle size over 1300. I thought something was not quite right and reduced my grains (bagels, breads, pastas, rice) to quite low levels. Just a little over months later, since I moved away from my vegan cardiologist to a Bale Doneen Dr. CRP was .3 and particle size was barely 1000. HERE IS WHAT i CONCLUDED ABOUT ME: Grains/Wheats must be minimized! I eat fatty fish a few times a week by the way and increased avocado and nuts before the 2nd test. I did also switch from lipitor to low dose crestor QOD by the way before the 2nd blood test.
                      I have my big visit with my New Bale Doneen Dr. to go over all my results this week in detail.
                      Literally food for thought here folks! lol
                      What is Dr. Brewers exact diet by the way? I think that might be the diet that will eventually work for me as my Bale Doneen Dr. preliminarily indicated that his desired diet plan SPECIFICALLY FOR ME is a modified version of the mediterranean diet. I'll let you all know exactly what he say
                      s later this week!
                      TY Sooo much Rich, FatMax, and Dr. Brewer of course for making this fantastic discusssion possible!

SORRY ABOUT THE CONFUSION ABOVE>>>2nd blood panel was done just a bit over 3 months after first blood panel

Comment

Originally posted by rginnis View Post
                      SORRY ABOUT THE CONFUSION ABOVE>>>2nd blood panel was done just a bit over 3 months after first blood panel
                      You're right about grains/wheat. I was eating spelt and since it has gluten have switched to oats. It will be interesting to see what effect it has.

Comment

I used to do a "modified Mediterranean". It's still too carb-heavy. I've continued to cut carbs.

Comment

Working...
                        X