Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tebtengri
    replied
    My guess has always been that when my BP is down 10 points and my pulse goes up is my body is so used to the higher pressure that it's increasing my pulse to move more blood. But this is only a change from 120/80 to 110/70 so it's starting to get into "low" territory. I also tend to get light headed when lifting if my pressure is under 115/75 or so. Worse the lower it goes

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    commented on 's reply
    Magnesium is important for the heart and many people don't get enough. I was taking the RDA for magnesium as magnesium oxide, and that is known for being poorly absorbed. I was trying to see if taking additional magnesium would lower my blood pressure, and it did have a positive effect at times up to 10 points both systolic and diastolic. However, a few days later I noticed that my resting heart rate had increased from 60 to 70 bpm, and I decided to lower the additional magnesium supplementation until my heart rate went back down to 60. So now I still take that magnesium oxide supplement along with some additional magnesium. My blood pressure went back up with a modest overall reduction from the starting point. It does seem like my blood pressure variation is less these days with the daily swing not being as large.
    Last edited by Tom; 02-10-2020, 11:00 PM.

• kinpatu
    replied
    I'm curious about magnesium's effect on RHR. In general lower RHR would be considered better, but if supplementing magnesium has an effect, I would assume that implies a dietary deficiency?? And if so, why would RHR increase once the needs are satisfied? Is an increase in RHR generally concordant with a decrease in BP? I used to supplement magnesium citrate, but I stopped it and increased my intake of avocados, pumpkins seeds, hemp hearts, etc. By my accounting I'm getting well in excess of the RDA.

Leave a comment:

• tebtengri
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom View Post
    Your heart rate seems a bit high for a person your age with good fitness, but I suppose that there is variation in that and it might mean nothing. By chance do you take quite a bit of magnesium? When I take enough magnesium, my resting heart rate will jump from around 60 to around 70 while my blood pressure drops a bit.
    I don't. I actually just ordered some magnesium BHB. My heart rate was around 60 last year but I got married in August 2019 and a 2 year old step daughter and just being lazy gave me a 6 month break from the gym. Didn't gain weight but my pulse climbed up to 80 during the break. Just started back in mid December

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    Your heart rate seems a bit high for a person your age with good fitness, but I suppose that there is variation in that and it might mean nothing. By chance do you take quite a bit of magnesium? When I take enough magnesium, my resting heart rate will jump from around 60 to around 70 bpm while my blood pressure drops a bit.
    Last edited by Tom; 02-10-2020, 11:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tebtengri
    started a topic Active Recovery

Active Recovery

I'm 41, 175lbs and have a good fitness level. I regularly exercise at 175bpm for 30 minutes and during HIIT 20-40s on and 2:30 low effort I push up around 183bpm.

​​my resting heart rate is 71. My issue is my active Recovery day on Sunday. Most stuff says I should be 100-120bpm but even pedalling at the lowest the machine accepts without "pausing" keeps me around 125-135. If I go over that bare minimum I get up around 140bpm. I feel no exertion during this with my breathing or heart pounding sensations and am lightly sweating.

My question is: should I try something even lighter, very very slow walking or is 130ish fine for an active recovery day? Even after months of this and constant slight improvements on weights lifted/reps and pushing HIIT up I don't overtrain (so far).
Working...
X