Announcement

Collapse

Are you really healthy?

We have an upcoming conference on November 8-9, 2019 in Louisville KY. You can register either as a Conference and CIMT participant or Conference and Assessment participant depending on whether you need a re-evaluation. For more information and/or to register online: https://go.prevmedheartrisk.com/squeeze-page

PrevMed is also offering courses online. Our first course is on Cardiovascular Inflammation and we have an upcoming course on Insulin Resistance. The course(s) can be found here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/courses...e-crd-nfl-crs1

We have also changed some of our services and price offerings which can be found on our website here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/services-and-pricing
See more
See less

23andME reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23andME reports

Hi,
    I got mine yesterday. The RAW data shows too many pages to count of SNPs.....which ones should I pay most attention to? Other than the two I had done through Dr. Brewer.

I suggest you start off by going to Genetic Genie http://geneticgenie.org and carefully follow their instruction. You will upload your raw data .zip file to their portal. It will generate a basic methylation and detox report for you. You will need to do a lot of reading on any "red" or "yellow" variants to find out their significance. The SNP's they analyze are the more common ones and should be the one's you should read up on first.

A more advanced analysis can be obtained from Promethease https://promethease.com. Same process, upload your raw data, pay a little money and obtain your report.

Comment

• mtbizzle
      mtbizzle commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the posts, John. I have a 23andme test coming soon and was planning on throwing my raw data at some of these analysis services. Promethease seems great but seems like it would take a while to learn the ropes with it. I have a pretty good understanding of the fundamentals in physiology, genetics, etc (training to be a nurse). For someone with that kind of background, do you think Promethease won't be too much of a headache to use and navigate? Thanks, as always.

• John Lorscheider
      John Lorscheider commented
      Editing a comment
      mtbizzle: Promethease or GeneticGenie are definitely the best places to start. They cover the more common gene mutations that are the most studied. Study their websites and you will find a lot of useful information and instructions.

Thanks for the links John. Using genetic genie I have two reds and 5 yellows. Looks like I need a methylfolate supplement according to what I read regarding BHMT Mutations. (that was a yellow) The red was a VIT D issue, but I'm already taking 3000mg a day. Hmm, maybe I should take more. I'll ask Amy. Another yellow says a glutathione supplement may be needed. One I don't understand at all, NAT2 I114T I have +/+ (red) it means the liver is a slow acetylator ...which I need to try and understand. I did the promethease as well. Wow, what a trip. Don't know where to start there. The 23andme report showed one big risk which is macular degeneration. My mom had it terribly but she smoked every day. Two of her three sisters are now developing it in their early 80s, but they have the lesser dry kind. They quit smoking years ago maybe that helped.

Comment

Robin:

Please attach your Genetic Genie results if you want feedback. Click the third icon from the right in the tool bar then click "Upload Attachments" and attach your results.

Being "Red" (homozygous) or "Yellow" (heterozygous) does not always mean you need to take supplements. That is a mindset many people fall into when they see a variant.

BHMT is one that does not need treating as long as the MTR and MTRR pathways are fully functional (green). Methylfolate has vitually no effect on the BHMT pathway. Only TMG (trimethylglycine) or PS (phosphatidylserine) can upregulate BHMT function.

Comment

Here you go John, thanks for helping with this!
        Attached Files

Comment

Robin:

You have the cleanest and most normal of SNP's of anyone's SNP's I've ever reviewed. I'm not kidding. I wish mine looked a fraction as good of what your's do.

Your various MTRR SNP's are only heterozygous which is not too alarming IMHO. There could be a small possibility of reduced ability to combine folate with B12 via MTRR and MTR to allow homocysteine to recycle back to methionine. Those two SNP's work together as a pair.

If you have concerns you can always get your homocysteine (HCY) level checked the next time you have lab work done. Hcy is the "dipstick" to measure the functional capability of the methionine methylation cycle. 5.0 to 7.0 is a good Hcy target range to shoot for. If your in that ballpark, I would not get into taking methylfolate, or any other methyl donor for that matter, unless you have high homocysteine that can't be managed by conventional means. Methyl donors do have their side effects too you know.

Also, there appears to be no need to treat your BHMT pathway shortcut with TMG (trimethylglycine) or PS (phosphatidylserine) can upregulate BHMT function. Treating that pathway is normally done when MTR, MTRR and CBS is not functioning correctly and homocysteine levels are extremely high.

Your detox analysis is darn good too, You're only homozygous for Arylamine N-acetyltransferase type 2 (NAT2). Just keep away from potential carcinogens.

VDR Bsm indicates your vitamin D receptor function may be somewhat downregulated. Probably best to keep your vitamin d 25-hydroxy levels between 60-80 ng/mL which is the mid to upper end of the range of 30-100 ng/mL.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Robin
            Robin commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi John,
            I'm glad you think so...I will really have to study this to understand it more. But I'm glad these pages look decent. On the other hand, this Genetic Genie only seems to look at CERTAIN SNPs...and I wonder why just these when there are so many more? For instance in Promethease I have many what they classify as "BAD" with Magnitude 3 SNPs.
            Like this:
            rs13266634(C;C)
            increased risk for type-2 diabetes
            rs13266634 is a SNP in the zinc transporter protein member 8 SLC30A8 gene that has primarily been associated with type-2 diabetes in several studies. This SNP is also known as the Arg325Trp or R325W variant; the (C) allele encodes the arginine (R), and the (T) allele encodes the tryptophan (W). significantly associated p = 0.0073; in 1,630 Japanese subjects with type-2 diabetes and in 1,064 controls The major alleles of the SLC30A8 SNP rs13266634 and the HHEX SNP rs7923837 associate with reduced insulin secretion, but not with insulin resistance. 46% of European non-diabetic offspring of type-2 diabetes patients are rs13266634(C;C) homozygotes; they are diabetes-prone and characterised by a 19% decrease in first-phase insulin release following an intravenous glucose load.
            • Note: this SNP,...
            more info
            Bad Repute
            3 Magnitude
            56.6% Frequency

A magnitude of 3 means you should pay attention to that T2DM homozygous variant, but not worry about it. We can't change our genetic code, but we can often positively influence the regulation of our genes through epigenetics; diet and lifestyle. That means low-carb diet, exercise and IMF in this case. If that doesn't manage any BG regulation issues, then consider medical treatment as well.

Everybody has genetic variants, and they may increase one's odds for a heritable condition, but those variant genes don't mean they will come down with a particular disease or condition and determine our destiny.

Comment

Thanks again John for wealth of knowledge and patience. I have several in this "3" magnitude. The only one higher than 3 was macular degeneration which my mom had and two of her 3 sisters have....but they all smoked so I know that made it 10 times worse. And I agree, we need to pay attention and do the right things but not worry all day. That's my goal.

Comment

John< where did you get the Methylation map? I've never seen that. It looks like a good topic for a video or blog.

Comment

It’s the most descriptive map I’ve found and it shows the logical progression and interdependence of each pathway. I’ll do a video and blog post on it in the near future.

Comment

Just sharing how valid and helpful this forum is.. Ive been googling and YouTubing “DNA” “gene testing” etc for days and get tones of useless information and junk relating to ancestry and advertising and other useless junk, and self proclaimed experts on gene testing etc. what a nightmare. Then I remembered the forum! Now I’m on track to find what I need. Thanks John L, Dr. Brewer, and all the other contributors. Maybe someday I’ll have something of value.

Comment

Working...
                X