Genetic Analysis to Determine Diet Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic Analysis to Determine Diet Type

I have changed my diet over the last few years based on what I could decipher from my 23ndme data. I went to a low saturated fat, plant based, whole food diet with occasional seafood and chicken.

In late December I saw a good price on GeneFood's genetic analysis so I had an analysis done. I fall into what they call Villager, basically meaning I should eat fresh fruits and vegetables from the local farmer's market. Here's the high level recommendations I received:

Five food rules:
    • Eat a low fat diet that excludes oil and most saturated fat
    • Pay attention to the freshness of food. Avoid foods that are highest in histamine like aged cheese and meat as well as beer and wine
    • Get most of your calories from complex carbohydrates
    • Whole plant foods are your best protein source
    • Consider a light weight training regimen and a post meal walk for 20 minutes
    So I pretty much nailed it. One thing that is in the detailed report, but not in the above 5 points is that I also need to be careful about sugar and eat low glycemic foods. I do for the most part, but this is one area I can tighten up a little.

I wanted to post this because it shows that a keto diet high in red meat, dairy, and saturated is a bad choice for some people. Nothing I love more than a good steak, butter, and cream, but it would kill me or at a minimum make me very sick.

ETA: If you already have 23andme data, the analysis is under $100.

In regard to the above histamine point, a few years ago I had an allergic reaction to shrimp and another to cod. These were one time events and I have eaten both prior to these events and after these events with no problem. Fortunately, the only thing that happened is my eyes swelled up and I looked like I had been in a fight. No trouble breathing or any other symptoms.

Of course the doctor I saw wanted me to go to the ER, but I decided as I wasn't having any other symptoms, I would go back home and be ready to call 911 if needed. By the next morning the swelling was way down and by the end of the day gone. I still had a black eye for a few days.

I started researching trying to understand what happened. The only thing that made sense was that I already had a high level of histamine in my blood, and when I ate the shrimp or cod, which are both high in histamine, especially if not fresh, it was enough to cause a reaction. I also learned this was likely a food sensitivity and not a food allergy. Recently I learned the source of the high level of histamine in my blood was likely from a leaky gut causing a high level of inflammation, resulting in a high histamine level.

My point, and I know it wasn't obvious, is I have hardly any knowledge of biology, chemistry, etc, but I was still able to approach my health problems in a logical fashion and deduce what I thought the cause was. I was never able to successfully explain it to a doctor, because I couldn't speak their language. Over time, I have been able to find the scientific studies and articles to back up my logic. This genetic analysis was just one more example that hunches should be followed and you can figure this stuff out when the medical system fails you. It takes a lot of time and a lot of trying to read papers where you only understand every 3rd or 4th word, but eventually you can figure it out.

Comment

I think you are spot on! Though I hope to do this myself in the near future, through much trial and tribulation I think I can pretty much predict what the results will be. IMO, this should be one of the first things done when treating a patient. Without it, you are pretty much flying blind. If a person has trouble metabolizing fat, why in the world would you put them on a HFLC diet?

Comment

Working...
      X