Keto and the ApoE4 gene

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keto and the ApoE4 gene

I am a 68 yo. I am 5’9”, weigh 165 lbs. I have been Keto eating for the last 10 months. It has resulted in a loss of 30 lbs and vast improvement in all my markers. It has worked great for me. My ApoE genotype is 3/4.

I recently watched a video on your YouTube channel where John discussed what he did to bring his CAC score down. During this video he advised that people with the ApoE4 gene should not be eating a Keto type (LCHF) diet. Bale/Doneen in their book Beat the Heart Attack Gene also advise the same thing. Where does this advice come from? Are there any studies that prove this?

Many other doctors recommend the Keto diet without the ApoE4 caveat. For example, Dr. Dale Bredesen wholeheartedly recommends it in his book The End of Alzheimer’s. Two other well-known proponents are Dr. Eric Westerman and Dr. Annette Bosworth.

Would greatly appreciate comment from Dr. Brewer and/or John on this subject.

Are you familiar with the apoe4.info site? I know they have discussed the pros and cons of a keto diet.

Comment

John Lorscheider hasn't been posting for a while. I think that the below video provides some understanding based upon APOE status. Some people in the early stages and onward of Alzheimer's, whose brain glucose metabolism isn't working well, do better on a keto diet. Between now and then for most of us, well that is the discussion with lots of opinions. Observational studies are likely the only type that would be found, and those are not exactly the most definitive of studies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLZq1VHLj60

Comment

I would think that if keto is harming you in some fashion, that it would be reflected in the various lab markers. And on the contrary, you have lost 30 pounds and seen improvements in the markers. On balance you are probably doing the right thing w/ keto.

Comment

I believe the question is not keto or not, it is saturated fat or not. There is some evidence that for apoe4, saturated fat is bad. Many try to limit saturated fat while increasing mono and poly unsaturated fats for keto.

Comment

Working...
          X