Low Level Endotoxemia LPS Theory of Coronary Artery Disease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Level Endotoxemia LPS Theory of Coronary Artery Disease

This is another follow-up on what I think caused my heart disease. The more I think about it, the more I think it may be the missing link. It explains why people with heart disease often have high ldl, sdldl, high ldl particle #, etc, but also why high ldl, etc from other causes may not result in heart disease. I've just started on my educational journey into lipopolysaccaraides (LPS), Endotoxins, and how they can cause atherosclerosis, and will add more articles as I go.

If anyone's interested, here's a simple introductory article (that's where the title of the thread came from): https://jeffreydachmd.com/2017/01/lo...rtery-disease/

ETA: It seems leaky gut is the main way that LPS get into the bloodstream from the gut. I didn't have typical symptoms of leaky gut, but the only way I could explain my theory that LPS's were causing my blood pressure spikes was if I DID have leaky gut. My doc ran a test on zonulin and it came back indicating leaky gut. I was able to resolve it in a few months and retest for zonulin indicated leaky gut problem resolved. It was at least another year before blood pressure spikes completely stopped.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3384703/
    Last edited by rich; 07-02-2019, 11:17 AM.

Good article (blog post) that explains how LPSs get into the blood stream, plus a lot more. There are also studies that indicate saturated fat may not be as big a problem as this post indicates. I will post references to these studies in the future.

What is interesting to me is that he lists 10 negative effects of high LPS levels, and I had (and still have but to a lesser degree) the 1st 6. I think this post also goes a long way in explaining why a plant based diet has been proven successful in treating heart disease - little or no saturated fat, so LPSs stay in the gut.

IMO if you are going to eat a high saturated fat diet, get tested to be sure you don't have a leaky gut.

Lipopolysaccharides (LPS): 16 Ways to Reduce Them

Mechanism of Action

LPS is a potent stimulator of the immune system. If LPS remains in the gut, it doesn’t activate the immune system and cause harm. The ability of LPS to promote inflammation depends on its ability to enter the blood [5].

Besides infection, the two main ways LPS can enter the blood from the gut are leaky gut (increased intestinal permeability) and through fat-containing chylomicrons.

Chylomicrons are fat transporters responsible for the absorption and transfer of dietary fat and cholesterol from the gut to the blood. LPS bind to chylomicrons and can be carried through the gut wall into the blood [6].

Binding and transport of LPS by chylomicrons is a natural process that helps remove LPS and take it to the liver for detoxification. However, not all of the LPS transported by chylomicrons gets detoxified quickly, and some can remain unbound in the blood [6].

In the blood, LPS binds to monocytes, dendrites, macrophages and B cells (these are all white blood cells), and directs them to produce transcription factors NF-κB and AP-1.

These transcription factors then stimulate the production of inflammatory cytokines TNF-a, IL-1b, IL-6, and CRP. LPS can also increase the production of nitric oxide, superoxide (a free radical), and eicosanoids (products of fat breakdown that increase inflammation, such as PGE2) [5].
    Last edited by rich; 07-05-2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X