No announcement yet.

Could Cardiac Disease be a Fat Disease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Cardiac Disease be a Fat Disease?

What I mean by that is if atherosclerosis isn't caused by cholesterol, yet cholesterol and triglycerides seem to have some correlation to arterial disease, why not look more at the triglycerides side.

Chylomicrons are what transports triglycerides and cholesterol into the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream, they supply triglycerides to cells and the liver (triglycerides and cholesterol). As triglycerides are removed from the chylomicrons, they eventually become remnants and are recycled by the liver.

The liver produces vldl to carry triglycerides to cells. As fat is removed by the cells, the vldl becomes ildl and eventually ldl. Ldl is what's left from the vldl and is primarily cholesterol. As cholesterol is removed from ldl, it eventually becomes an ldl remnant and is recycled by the liver.

So if LDL, which carries cholesterol, isn't the cause of plaque buildup in arteries; yet there appears to be a correlation between triglycerides, ldl, sdldl, etc to atherosclerosis, doesn't it seem that the fat side of the equation might be the problem?

I'm having trouble finding articles that discuss what happens if chylomicron remnants and vldl remnants are not removed from the bloodstream by the liver and continue to circulate in the blood. Do they use the same docking points on the liver? What about sdLDL? Is it competing for the same ports? What happens when one has a leaky gut and substances from the gut leak into the bloodstream, some of which mimic liver docking points?

Could it be that when the liver can't keep up with removing chylomicron remnants, vldl remnants, ldl, sdldl, and toxins from leaky gut, that these particles start damaging arterial walls which begins the plaque process. The arteries start to bleed and clotting takes place like with any wound. Eventually, it scabs over and new cell lining grows over the scab. But now this area is even more prone to damage and the plaque buildup continues. (Plaque contains both fat and cholesterol)
    This could also explains the inflammation issue as the toxins and wound healing would both cause low grade inflammation. I also wonder if high blood pressure may be a result as all the extra particles have to be pushed through blood vessels.

It would be interesting to see if any studies have been done to see if patients with atherosclerosis have a leaky gut. My guess is it would be a much higher percent than the public at large. I have seen many blog posts that list heart disease as caused by a leaky gut, but so far haven't seen any scientific papers.

Maybe a more accurate title would be: Could Cardiac Disease Be Caused By a Leaky Gut?

Comments? I'm open to both positive and negative comments. It would be helpful to explain your comments so this can become a discussion.
    Last edited by rich; 07-11-2019, 09:32 AM.

I have been out cutting grass, where I always have my "best" ideas. I have revised my theory to make it all encompassing!

As the number of, size of, and shape of, particles in the blood stream increase, the likelihood of damage to artery walls also increases.
    Under "normal" conditions, the particles in blood stream float along, rarely colliding with other particles. As the number and size of the particles increase, the number of collisions also increases. This includes collisions with artery walls. As the wall is almost continually bombarded with particles of various shapes and sizes, small openings occur in the cell wall and grow bigger until small particles like LDL start to get stuck in the openings. To heal the damage, inflammation occurs at the damage site and the healing process starts, first a scab and then new cell wall lining. It's like a cut that leaves a scar after healing. Sometimes the scar goes away or gets smaller over time, but not if the wound is continually being banged on and reopened.

I had to try to figure out how diabetes would fit into my theory, but that was rather easy - increased glucose in the blood stream. Same with inflammation. Same with smoking. Similar with high blood pressure as now these particles are colliding with more force causing more damage.

So how do a vegetarian or high fat keto diet work to reverse atherosclerosis? Fewer particles in the blood stream - vegetarian reduces the fat particles and keto reduces the glucose particles. BUT, to go back to my OP, if you have a leaky gut it is likely stlll a losing battle.
    Last edited by rich; 07-11-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Jeebus. Atherosclerosis is caused by long-term consumption of excess carbs.

Comment

• fatmax
        fatmax commented
        Editing a comment
        You said you had a genetic problem that prevented you from eating fat. Since there are only three macro nutrients, fat, carbs, and protein, you had to eat mostly carbs and protein to keep from starving. Consuming all those carbs over many years was unhealthful.

• rich
        rich commented
        Editing a comment
        Where did you get that idea? Excess carbs are converted to fat.

I never said I couldn't eat fat, I said I had a problem digesting and metabolizing SATURATED fat. Some of the saturated fat is digested and is metabolized, but some of it isn't. Unsaturated fat seems to be digested and metabolized just fine.

You need to be at least a little objective. You have blinders on and it might get you in trouble. Show me the people eating a whole foods plant based diet that are having heart attacks.

Excess carbs generate excess insulin secretion. Excess insulin creates insulin resistance. Insulin resistance creates atherosclerosis. Ergo, excess carbs create atherosclerosis.
      Remove your blinders off and read some research, such as:

https://www.crossfit.com/essentials/...-stupid-part-1

Comment

Originally posted by fatmax View Post
        Dr. Juan Gallegos: It's not necessarily that it can't process it all, but the way, if you overcharge the system, then the processing of those things might be abnormal and that's part of the reason why people who have issues with their weight or have diabetes and high blood sugar can have something called fatty liver disease and that's because the fat starts accumulating inside the liver cells as they try to adapt to all this excess fat that's coming into the system, through your meal, but also through increased blood sugar that ultimately is transformed into fat deposits if it's not used elsewhere. https://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scop...ows=0_7frg4jjd

The fatty acids needed to make triglycerides come from digesting the fatty foods you eat, but they can also be made in your body from the carbohydrates you eat. This conversion of carbohydrates to fatty acids is the basis of lipogenesis. This is an easy term to recall if you remember that the prefix 'lipo' refers to lipid, which is another name for fat, and 'genesis' refers to creation, so lipogenesis is literally the process of lipid creation. https://study.com/academy/lesson/lip...-function.html

But this has nothing to do with this thread. I recommend you actually read my 2 posts.

Comment

• fatmax
          fatmax commented
          Editing a comment
          Best of luck to you.

This video on lipoprotein metabolism is by far the best I have seen at explaining how fats and cholesterol are processed. It's medical school level, but the instructor is so good it is fairly easy to pick up on the big concepts. I can only watch about 10 minutes at a time before overload sets in. I had read several articles about this subject (which is where my idea for this thread came from) before I found this video.

You may have to reset the video to the beginning.

Last edited by rich; 07-13-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I thought of a better way to say what I have been trying to say.

Chylomicrons and vldl primarily carry fat to the cells. After giving up most of their fat, they becomes remnants. The same idea with LDL, but for cholesterol, not fat. It appears they all use ldl receptors on the liver.

So my thought is if the chylomicrons and vldl remnants can't all be removed by the liver, then it is possible that ldl remnants (sdLDL) start stacking up causing ldl, ldl-p, sdLDL to all increase. So it would look like a cholesterol problem when really it is a fat problem.

Comment

Many of you are aware of the blog called Hyperlipid authored by Peter (Petro Dobromylskyj). I was reading through some of his posts and came across this:

Now, a functional LDL-C receptor is utterly necessary for the anti-inflammatory effect of the chylomicron/endotoxin complex. If someone's ears don't prick up on this one they have clearly never heard of homozygous familial hypecholesterolaemia. The focus on elevated lipids (sigh) might just have missed the core of the problem, which is the failure to internalise lipoproteins. Interesting idea? It certainly is to me.
            https://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....ch?q=endotoxin

This appears to confirm what I theorized. if LDL-C receptors can't remove LDL fast enough, LDL is going to be high. Treatment should not be to lower cholesterol, but to remedy the cause of non-functional LDL-C receptors. In my case, I know I have a genetic predisposition for cells to have a resistance to absorbing saturated fat, which would likely mean an increase in chylomicron and vldl remnants without enough efficient ldl-c receptors to remove all of them. The result is LDL-C that can't be removed because receptors are also being used by chylomicrons and vldl. And also, as I posted earlier, according to Dr Rhonda Patrick, LPSs mimic liver ldl-c ports, so sometimes LPS will bind to LDL on the port it uses to bind to liver, causing sdLDL to become old and oxidized.

Comment

Working...
            X