Announcement

Collapse

Are you really healthy?

We have an upcoming conference on November 8-9, 2019 in Louisville KY. You can register either as a Conference and CIMT participant or Conference and Assessment participant depending on whether you need a re-evaluation. For more information and/or to register online: https://go.prevmedheartrisk.com/squeeze-page

PrevMed is also offering courses online. Our first course is on Cardiovascular Inflammation and we have an upcoming course on Insulin Resistance. The course(s) can be found here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/courses...e-crd-nfl-crs1

We have also changed some of our services and price offerings which can be found on our website here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/services-and-pricing
See more
See less

The BREWER EFFECT: Should you attend the Louisville Conference? My EVIDENCE/RESULTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BREWER EFFECT: Should you attend the Louisville Conference? My EVIDENCE/RESULTS

I attended Dr. B’s Orlando summit in March 2019. The report below shows my pre and 4-month post-summit lab results. Dramatic improvement is possible! YMMV.
    Last edited by Joe Reilly; 08-08-2019, 10:17 AM.

Do you really want your LDL that low?

Comment

Obviously you have had a lot of improvements in your blood markers. Did you start taking a statin and/or switch from an ARB to an ACE inhibitor? How about your CIMT results?

Have you ever had your LDL-C measured directly instead of the usual computed value? I know that while some published papers show those (direct vs. computed) values to be sort of close enough, I wonder after looking at my direct LDL-C values on the last few blood tests. I was curious because of all of the discussions on remnants these days.
      Last edited by Tom; 08-08-2019, 02:39 AM.

Comment

• Joe Reilly
        Joe Reilly commented
        Editing a comment
        CIMT report added above. The CIMT results look bad. However, in the small print, it indicates that the plaque found is Echogenic meaning it is calcified and stable. The earlier and dangerous stages of plaque, soft and heterogeneous, were not found. I draw comfort from that. I will need to wait until next March to do a second CIMT to see the results of the protocols put in place by Dr. Brewer last March. I’m eager to see a reduction in cardiovascular age. Fingers crossed.
        Last edited by Joe Reilly; 08-08-2019, 10:11 PM.

I'm happy with an LDL of 29. I'm delighted with an LP PLA2 of 86. I believe that indicates new plaque deposits have stopped for the first time in my life. I'm happy my LP(a) is down to an astronomical 373, but not satisfied. I bumped my Niacin up from 2Grams to 2½ grams a day. But this is a huge improvement from 3 years ago when it was 1135. I've never had a direct LDL measurement. And yes, Dr.B switched me to Ramipril. From July 88 until Aug 18 I have been through every statin ever made. Finally last Aug I couldn't take the pain any longer and had my cardiologist switch me to Repatha. At the Orlando Summit Dr.B added Pitavastatin, Zetia, and Niacin. Pitavastatin is the very first statin that does not cause me muscle pain. And just today he reported that evidence is in that it also reduces inflammation. Remnant at 18 down from. 22. But my Tri/HDL ratio of 1.5 shows I'm IR. BTW, my CACS is 6,889 up just under 15% from a year ago. Fortunately, my body quickly converts plaque deposits to stone. I'm expecting next year's score to be unchanged since PLA2 is no longer being deposited.
      Last edited by Joe Reilly; 08-09-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• fatmax
        fatmax commented
        Editing a comment
        What is the dosage of the pitavastatin and Zetia? Thanks.

P. 4mg, Z. 10mg.
        Last edited by Joe Reilly; 08-08-2019, 03:47 AM.

Yes. Joe decided on that LDL level. His decision was based on the research evidence in the FOURIER and ODYSSEY trials. Very interesting. As he discussed on his vids, he's in a very unusual situation with both FH and Lp(a) together at such levels. There is no research base to derive evidence for the decisions he has to make.

Comment

Your Calcium score was 6800???? oh my goodness. Were/are you symptomatic in any way? What was your micro albumin creatinine ratio?

PS. Congrats on the improvements to your markers.

Comment

• Joe Reilly
          Joe Reilly commented
          Editing a comment
          I added a second page above to address your questions. Please add your thoughts on the creatinine levels and what it means. I haven’t had any symptoms since 1997 when I had my third angioplasty. While reading ‘Fung’s ‘Complete Guide to Fasting’ I came across a new to me info on Lp(a). I pressed my cardiologist to give me a lab test for iit. Result 1135. About this same time I came across info on the net about CACS. So I pushed my cardiologist to give me that test. The result then was 6114. My cardiologist called a thoracic surgeon right then and there. And he did a cath-lab on me the next day. Result: RCA 99%, LCA 100%, Main aorta 75%. The next day I had an AVR and a 3way side of cabbage! That was June 2018. In Aug I quit statins and went on Repatha.
          Last edited by Joe Reilly; 08-12-2019, 08:34 AM.

• Joe Reilly
          Joe Reilly commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a noisy valve murmur my C. was following annually. Before these tests that I pushed him into doing, he was waiting for the valve to get bad enough to replace. He estimated I had another 5 years before doing the valve job. The logic being to put it off as long as possible so I would get the longest total runtime including the new valve. Had I not taken control of my own health and insisted on the Lp(a) and CACS, my first symptom by following my C’s 5 year plan would have been interrupted by death!!! My advice to all: Patient Heal thyself!!! And it helps a lot to find a great preventive med doc!!! I can't EMPHASIZE this enough, Had I followed the still current standard of care in the medical industry, that standard would have KILLED ME!!!!! Put yet another way: don't take no for an answer from your doc concerning tests. DON’T LET STANDARD CARE KILL YOU!
          Last edited by Joe Reilly; 08-12-2019, 08:37 AM.

Quite a story, isn't it?

Comment

• Tom
          Tom commented
          Editing a comment
          Joe is definitely one of those people whose life was extended due to calcification of the large amounts of soft plaque that he must have had in his arteries. It is amazing how much blockage of arteries that people can live with at times without a major symptom. Beyond the stent/by-pass surgeries that are done on the heart, do surgeons still open up people's carotid arteries and scrape those out? I had heard that carotid scraping operation was not all that unusual in the past (i.e. how to lower stroke risk?).
          Last edited by Tom; 08-08-2019, 11:23 PM.

• Joe Reilly
          Joe Reilly commented
          Editing a comment
          WARNING! Just because you have no symptoms and feel fine, that does not mean there isn't an iceberg lurking just below the surface, or that you don't need to do advanced testing. Just ask Tim Russert. To drive this point home consider this. The very day I went to my cardiologist and received my CACS I had done 3 miles on my treadmill that morning without symptoms! And at that time I was doing 3 miles every other day. Two days later I had my AVR and bypasses!
          Last edited by Joe Reilly; 08-12-2019, 08:31 AM.

That is an AMAZING story!! Congrats Joe. And thanks for sharing. I saw above where your MACR was so low as to be unable to calculate. Thanks for posting that. I hope to get mine down that low some day. So far it is proving hard to do.

Comment

Can someone send me contact info for a reputable Canadian source of pitavastin? Thanks

Comment

• Joe Reilly
            Joe Reilly commented
            Editing a comment
            Canadian Pharmacy 213-228-5380 is their customer service number
        Working...
        X