Announcement

Collapse

Are you really healthy?

We have an upcoming conference on November 8-9, 2019 in Louisville KY. You can register either as a Conference and CIMT participant or Conference and Assessment participant depending on whether you need a re-evaluation. For more information and/or to register online: https://go.prevmedheartrisk.com/squeeze-page

PrevMed is also offering courses online. Our first course is on Cardiovascular Inflammation and we have an upcoming course on Insulin Resistance. The course(s) can be found here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/courses...e-crd-nfl-crs1

We have also changed some of our services and price offerings which can be found on our website here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/services-and-pricing
See more
See less

Heart Disease and Leaky Gut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Disease and Leaky Gut

A study was done to see if there was an association between Zonulin, Lipopolysaccharides, and CD14(gene) with myocardial infarction. The 3 groups were 1) centenarians with no age-related diseases, 2) people who have had an acute myocardial infarction before the age of 40, and 3) "under the age of 40 free from heart or arterial disease, dementia, cancer, autoimmune disorders, kidney disease, liver disorders or psychiatric illness."

Zonulin regulates tight junctions in your gut wall.
    Lipopolysaccharides are the toxic outer shells of graham negative bacteria that can leak through the gut wall.
    CD14 is a lipopolysaccharide-binding protein.

..., let’s dive into what this study found.

79 disease free Northern Italian centenarians—39 men and 40 women—were studied. All were free from major age-related diseases like cognitive impairment, cancer, coronary heart disease, kidney disease or severe physical impairment. They were, in other words, quite like my late grandmother who on her 100th birthday not only navigated flights of stairs with astonishing aplomb, but could also tell you the history of her extended family including who married and divorced whom all while helping to prepare her own birthday feast! She left this world at the age of 104 after a brief hospital stay due to a fall.

The second group studied was composed of 101 men and 77 women who had suffered an acute myocardial infarction (heart attack) before the age of 40. The third group consisted of 102 men and 76 women also under the age of 40 free from heart or arterial disease, dementia, cancer, autoimmune disorders, kidney disease, liver disorders or psychiatric illness. None of these healthy young Italians had high cholesterol, high triglyceride levels or hypertension. Neither were they obese, although 36% of them did smoke.

So what did these researchers find when markers of zonulin, lipopolysaccharides and CD14 were assessed for all three groups? Well, here are the results:

Courtesy: Serum Zonulin and Endotoxin Levels in Exceptional Longevity versus Precocious Myocardial Infarction
    Of the three markers measured only LPS and zonulin reached statistical significance. Levels of both were significantly elevated in the young heart disease (AMI) patients. They were also both elevated in the healthy young controls in comparison to the healthy centenarians although to a lesser extent. Nevertheless, something tells me that many of those “healthy” controls will soon join the ranks of the unhealthy if they fail to plug up their guts.
    Link to above blog post https://www.gutcritters.com/zonulin-lipopolysaccharides-and-longevity/

Link to original article on which blog post was based.

Serum Zonulin and Endotoxin Levels in Exceptional Longevity versus Precocious Myocardial Infarction
    Endotoxemia-induced inflammation has been associated with insulin resistance and atherosclerosis, ultimately increasing the risk of coronary heart disease. Increased intestinal permeability is an important event leading to endotoxemia. This study aims ...
    Last edited by rich; 10-02-2019, 09:18 AM.

WOW. Interesting finding Rich. Sort of bad news too. messed up guts are often difficult to fix.

Comment

I guess this could be described as a unifying theory of heart disease. My experiences and research have been leading me in this direction for the last few years, but this is the first time I have found someone who has put all the pieces together.

He has a series on heart disease you might want to read through. It helps explain why a low carb/high fat diet works well for some people. The one thing I find missing in his series is that he doesn't discuss SNPs and barely talks about proteins needed to metabolize fats.

The cause of heart disease is metabolic endotoxemia. Binge drinking, excess consumption of sugar, trans fats, overeating, omega 6 oils, tooth decay, respiratory infections, gluten, stress, aging, poor anti-oxidant status, cigarette smoking, etc. are all risk factors for cardiovascular disease because they can all negatively impact gut wall integrity and beneficial bacterial populations. Correcting dysbiosis through changes in diet and resolving bacterial and yeast infections while replenishing and maintaining beneficial gut flora populations is the only hope you have for preventing this potentially deadly disease.
      https://www.gutcritters.com/part-fou...heart-disease/
      In this fourth part in my series on heart disease, I explore the role dietary fat plays in leaky gut and cardiovascular disease.
      Last edited by rich; 10-03-2019, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Here's a link to the gut and heart disease series.

Part One: Endotoxemia, Dysbiosis and Cardiovascular Disease Part Two Of Endotoxemia and Heart Disease: Where Are The Pathogens Fueling Heart Disease Coming From? Part Three: Dietary Fat, Chylomicrons and Endotoxemia Part Four: Dietary Fat, Leaky Gut, Endotoxemia and Heart Disease Part Five: Cholesterol, Leaky Gut, Endotoxemia and Heart Disease Revisiting The Sydney Diet Heart Study

Comment

Working...
        X