k2-mk7 = potential stroke risk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k2-mk7 = potential stroke risk?

I've been doing a lot of research on vitamin K2-MK7 and the news seems overwhelmingly good, but there's one detail which may be a show stopper. Buried in the articles/reports/videos are often statements like "K2-MK7 may destabilize existing plaque". That seems pretty alarming for someone like me who is 60+ and has occlusion which already resulted in one emergency angioplasty. Of course I'd love to see the plaque disappear, but *how* it disappears matters. The idea of fracturing plaque and having chunks of it enter the bloodstream as well as potentially exposing hot liquid plaque seems pretty dangerous to me. Maybe I'm incorrectly oversimplifying by thinking of K2-MK7 as Drano for the arteries, but I've never seen an explanation of how "K2-MK7 takes calcium out of the arteries and puts it in the bones and teeth where it belongs". I'd guess for a young person with little or no plaque this probably isn't an issue, but for us older folks it very well could be. Is the calcium removed slowly from the innermost plaque strata or is the plaque surface which is exposed to blood immediately vulnerable to destabilization upon K2-MK7 supplementation? The former would be a desirable mechanism whereas the latter could be quite dangerous. How does it actually work?

Dr. Brewer has made quite a few videos on vitamin K2, some of which respond to your thoughts and questions. Below is one of a series. You can easily search for the others and view them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55iB15GevBM&t=517s

My take from reading is that there hasn't been studies showing that K2 vitamin usage destabilizes plaque to the point where it significantly increases the risk of a heart attack or stroke. There are structural changes in soft plaque as it becomes calcified that make it more stable, and the stability is due to several factors (not just calcium). I haven't seen any studies, or even 10 or more well documented cases, where a person with a CAC score of 500 or more made changes and their CAC score decreased to 0 or anything really low. If that could happen, then surely we would have heard about it by now. Even with calcified plaque, there is a residual risk of rupture with it being a white rupture rather than the hot plaque rupture that is mostly associated with heart attack and stroke. I posted a study on this quite a while ago, and I will see if I can find the link again. I copied that old post as a comment below.
    Last edited by Tom; 04-23-2020, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• Tom
      Tom commented
      Editing a comment
      Mechanisms of plaque erosion vs. plaque rupture for acute coronary syndromes
      01-05-2019, 10:54 PM
      The topic of cardiovascular plaque erosion has been popular during discussions of vitamin K2 and other supplements/drugs/lifestyle changes. The below article provides interesting insight into how plaque erosion and plaque rupture differ; and why plaque erosion is becoming a more important feature in cardiovascular health. Plaque erosion is likely a good bit of the residual risk left over after long-term statin usage given a health promoting lifestyle. The good news is that plaque erosion doesn't seem to be as dangerous as plaque rupture, but it will present unique challenges as it is a real risk. The middle of the article goes into a lot of details, and you could get the jist by reading the early and later parts.

That link that I copied somehow didn't resolve properly, and so here is another direct reference to that study (2nd reference below). I also copied a link to a pictorial in that article which I thought was interesting.

https://www.ahajournals.org/cms/asse...4/150fig01.gif

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...muUtuY.twitter
      Last edited by Tom; 04-23-2020, 10:13 PM.
Working...
X