Labile Hypertension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labile Hypertension

As part of my participation in an ongoing (20 plus years now) Johns Hopkin's study on Alzheimer's, I had recent 30 minute brain scan MRI. From this scan, punctate periventricular and deep white matter lesions were reported with an assessment that lesions were non-specific but MAY be secondary to chronic microvascular ischemic changes. Having seemingly well controlled blood pressure, I was concern when I read a report on white matter brain lesions that indicated that so-called Labile hypertension (e.g., white coat syndrome) may be a contributor to punctate periventricular and deep white matter lesions. It would be interesting to have a discussion on otherwise well controlled blood pressure and possible effects of episodic labile hypertension. It seems labile hypertension may be very unhealthy for our brains. I am 74 years old.

Gerry:

I’ve had a brain MRI performed about every 5 to 6 years for the past 30 years as I have temporal lobe epilepsy. The important thing to look for is for is how your current MRI compares to your last one and if there is progression of white matter.

My white matter is microvascular in nature and it has progressed in the frontal lobe and periventricular area according to my neurologist. Microvascular type white matter can also be caused by age, hypertension, diabetes, stroke or degenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s. I had chronic hypertension in my past but it is now well controlled. I had undiagnosed diabetes too but it is now well treated too.

Be sure to control ALL your risk factors as the blood vessels in our brains are just an extension of the arteries in our hearts, kidneys, eyes, etc. Controlling our blood sugar levels and blood pressure are the most important things we can do to protect ourselves from white matter formation. Also, read the book “The End of Alzheimer’s” by Dale Bredesen.

Comment

Working...
    X