Announcement

Collapse

Are you really healthy?

We have an upcoming conference on November 8-9, 2019 in Louisville KY. You can register either as a Conference and CIMT participant or Conference and Assessment participant depending on whether you need a re-evaluation. For more information and/or to register online: https://go.prevmedheartrisk.com/squeeze-page

PrevMed is also offering courses online. Our first course is on Cardiovascular Inflammation and we have an upcoming course on Insulin Resistance. The course(s) can be found here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/courses...e-crd-nfl-crs1

We have also changed some of our services and price offerings which can be found on our website here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/services-and-pricing
See more
See less

Strange BP Spikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange BP Spikes

I'm sharing this because there seems to be many people who also have this condition and there is very little information about it.

About 4 winters ago in late December, I started having blood pressure spikes that started in late afternoon and continued until about 1 am and then slowly came down until near normal in morning. This happened day after day. I went to ER a couple of times and they couldn't find anything wrong. They and the cardiologist I went to just kept prescribing more and more medications and increasing dosage up to the max. They had me on an ace inhibitor, a beta blocker, and a diuretic .Nothing made a difference. I went to bed every night wondering if I would make it until the next morning.

As daylight got longer, the spikes peaked at lower and lower levels. By mid March the spikes stopped.

The spikes returned the next winter at the end of December. Let me describe what the spike was like. From when I got up until about 4 or 5 pm, BP would be slightly elevated, but under 140/85. Then BP would start going up quickly hour by hour, often being as high as 200/100 by 8 pm. By midnight it would be as high as 220/120 with a heart rate over 120. When I went to ER, after they ran tests, gave me another BP pill, and left me laying in bed, by 3 am BP would be low enough to be released. The thing was, I knew the exact same thing would happen that night and the next night and on and on. They had me on 3 different meds and none of them had any effect on the spikes and would often cause extremely low BP in the morning. A real roller coaster.

I had been eating a low carb/high fat diet and, for some reason, I suspected saturated fat might be a cause. I decided to fast for 1 or 2 days and see what happened. The 1st day the spikes stopped. I started eating again, but kept saturated fat under 10g. I still had some spikes, but not nightly like before. I found a study, which I have been unable to find again, that found that some people experienced BP spikes similar to what I experienced, when they ate a meal high in saturated fat and/or sugar late in the day. They offered 2 solution: 1) Don't eat sat fat and sugar late in the day, 2) take vitamin E and vitamin C before the meal.

About the same time, I found that baked potatoes also helped curb the spikes. I found a study done with purple potatoes that found that certain phytochemicals in potatoes reduced blood pressure. My go to whenever I have a spike is no saturated fat and a baked potato. When I do have a spike now, it is not as severe, usually peaking around 180/95 and not lasting very long, about 2-3 hours.

Direct sunlight on the skin increases nitric oxide, so I think that is part of the reason I usually experience the spikes when days are shortest. Another thing I do is grounding/earthing which reduces blood viscosity. I also came up with a protocol that includes potassium, vitamin e, vitamin c, l-arginine, beet root, and a baby aspirin. About half the time, this stops a spike within an hour. I'm trying to hit the spike with nitric oxide, lowered blood viscosity, and phytochemicals, as well as supplements that are known to reduce BP.

My guess is this is related to my aortic stenosis, but no cardiologist has been interested so far.

ETA: I should have mentioned that stress also causes a spike. Last week my bp was under 120/80 for several days and then spiked to 180/100 the morning I was scheduled for a cardiac cath. Any time I go to the doctor my BP spikes, which I think has made some of them question whether my BP is really normal when at home.
    Last edited by rich; 01-25-2019, 12:22 PM.

Hey Rich.

I can't give much useful info, but I figured id mention a similar story i read about recently in a newspaper. In short, a middle aged man was experiencing intermittent spikes in blood pressure like you. eventually some of the spikes got seriously high. eventually, they discovered that he had a tumor in his adrenal glands which would secrete hormones on their own.

Of course i imagine its very unlikely that's what is going on with you -- both because that's a rarer condition and i'm not sure if i see a connection between the foods you mention & adrenal cancer. Since you're searching for obscure causes of these sorts of bp spikes,though, i figured i'd mention that case.

Comment

That is very interesting. And yes, adrenal tumors are actually more common than many realize.

Comment

Originally posted by mtbizzle View Post
        Hey Rich.

I can't give much useful info, but I figured id mention a similar story i read about recently in a newspaper. In short, a middle aged man was experiencing intermittent spikes in blood pressure like you. eventually some of the spikes got seriously high. eventually, they discovered that he had a tumor in his adrenal glands which would secrete hormones on their own.

Of course i imagine its very unlikely that's what is going on with you -- both because that's a rarer condition and i'm not sure if i see a connection between the foods you mention & adrenal cancer. Since you're searching for obscure causes of these sorts of bp spikes,though, i figured i'd mention that case.
        One of the 1st things my doc did was test for that.

Comment

Yes. with serious & unpredictable spikes, I'd rule out adrenal tumors. And there's actually a variant of this that has recently been discovered to be far more common than thought before. FEA - Familial Endocrine Adenomatosis.

Comment

Working...
          X