Announcement

Collapse

Are you really healthy?

We have an upcoming conference on November 8-9, 2019 in Louisville KY. You can register either as a Conference and CIMT participant or Conference and Assessment participant depending on whether you need a re-evaluation. For more information and/or to register online: https://go.prevmedheartrisk.com/squeeze-page

PrevMed is also offering courses online. Our first course is on Cardiovascular Inflammation and we have an upcoming course on Insulin Resistance. The course(s) can be found here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/courses...e-crd-nfl-crs1

We have also changed some of our services and price offerings which can be found on our website here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/services-and-pricing
See more
See less

Freestyle Libre - Best way to determine BG peaks, Response to meals & a few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freestyle Libre - Best way to determine BG peaks, Response to meals & a few Questions

I've done an OGTT, and am now considering the Freestyle Libre as a way to better understand where I stand w/ my blood glucose (BG). I've never used finger stick glucometers or the Libre - only lab test - I've got a few questions about the Libre that I hope someone on here will know how to answer!
    • It's not hard to see that, with the single data points that come with a finger stick or other blood test, you don't get a perfect sense of either (a) how high BG spikes, or (b) how long your BG stays 'out of range'.
      • Question 1: is the Libre likely the best way to get a sense of (a) and (b)?
    • One great thing about the Libre, seems to me, is that you can see your patterns, and track how you respond to different meals & activities.
      • Question 2: The Libre is a great option for this sort of purpose, right? The 'new' Libre sensors last 14 days, so I am thinking of doing several multi-day "trials" where I eat different foods, engage in different activities to see how my BG responds. Am I right to think that the Libre be a great option for this purpose?
    • Blood glucose 'target range'?
      • Question 3: I've seen 70mg/dL - 120mg/dL mentioned as the 'ideal' glucose range, and 140mg/dL as a point where damage will start to occur. Are these good numbers to use?
    • As I'm sure many of you know, glucose issues 'run in families'. None of my family members do any self testing, but we would all like to try the Libre for the sort of purpose mentioned above.
      • Question 4: If different people wanted to use the Libre (not at the same time), could we use 1 reader, along with separate sensors? I think we would be able to get the Libre reader for $75 or so, and 3 sensors for about $62 -- much more affordable for us than 3 readers.
    Thanks

There are videos on this topic providing some insight into what you are asking. Use the search function. The one thing I heard since those videos is that the newer 14 day Freestyle Libre is more accurate than the old one.

Comment

mtbizzle I started my first Libre yesterday. I was able to use my Android phone and 3rd party apps to both activate and read the sensor. If your family has compatible phones, that eliminates any need for a reader.

Comment

The answer is yes to 1-3. I don’t know on Q4. Give them a call. They are happy to answer any Q you have!

Comment

Originally posted by sthubbar View Post
          mtbizzle I started my first Libre yesterday. I was able to use my Android phone and 3rd party apps to both activate and read the sensor. If your family has compatible phones, that eliminates any need for a reader.
          Very cool. I would love to have one of those. Are you seeing any surprises in how you respond to certain foods?

Comment

• David
            David commented
            Editing a comment
            stubbhar, that's a good story and good persistence. If you are able to score a CIMT you should be able to see improvements before the 5 year mark.

• sthubbar
            sthubbar commented
            Editing a comment

• David
            David commented
            Editing a comment
            I see that. Thank you. If you get annual CIMT follow ups, you should see improvements with all of the solid work you are doing. From what I have seen CIMT seems to be pretty responsive pretty quickly to changes in diet/lifestyle.
        Working...
        X