Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freestyle Libre - Best way to determine BG peaks, Response to meals & a few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laketahoebob
    replied
    This response is coming late for you, but I have been using the 14 day FreeStyle Libre since June 2019.

1. You do not need a reader- use your iphone app
    2. Sign up for the web account so you can study results on the "big screen" and download all data to your computer
    3. For me the biggest benefit is tracking your personal response to food items so you can manage your glucose- I am able to keep my readings within the 80-120 range more than 99% of the time.
    4. Since you do not even need one reader, multiple people can be tested and use your smart phone(s). However, each person will need to use one sensor since they are not reusable and must be discarded after being removed from your arm.
    5. If you have T2DM, you can probably get the sensors for a small copay.
    6. Medicare won't cover mine, but I pay about $40 for 1 month supply, 2-14 day sensors, using a discount card.
    7. My BG Monitor does not track the FL, but the monitor doesn't even repeat itself that well. My last lab BG was 92 and my FL reading at the same time was 93.
    8. I was able to perform an "OGTT test" using 77 gram Mountain Dew and the FL.

This can change your life and give you control of your glucose levels on a continuous basis. Great product. Especially useful for watching low glycemic carb effects and overnight glucose excursions.

Leave a comment:

• David
    commented on 's reply
    I see that. Thank you. If you get annual CIMT follow ups, you should see improvements with all of the solid work you are doing. From what I have seen CIMT seems to be pretty responsive pretty quickly to changes in diet/lifestyle.

• sthubbar
    commented on 's reply
    David, you can see my CIMT here. https://759241a66b89-003789.vbulleti...b-results-cimt

• David
    commented on 's reply
    stubbhar, that's a good story and good persistence. If you are able to score a CIMT you should be able to see improvements before the 5 year mark.

• sthubbar
    commented on 's reply
    David, I kind of stumbled upon OMAD because my office offers free lunch and I have difficulty doing moderation. So, despite my efforts to eat "healthily", I was packing on the pounds and I just told myself "No more!" and stopped eating lunch and allowed my self to eat as much as I wanted from 6pm - 10pm. What I found was that with a 4 hour window, I was able to eat as many calories as I wanted, including 3,000. Then the pounds just started falling off with no food restrictions. Then I found that by waiting until 6 pm, I was hungry enough that even a vegan meal was scrumptious! I have accept the medical 5-year rule, meaning no treatment or change can be called successful until it has been stable for 5 years. I have been doing this for 4-months, so we will have to check back in 4 years 8 months to see how sustainable this is. PS Over time, I have mostly reduced the eating window to 1 hour of mostly vegan food.

• David
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats on being able to do OMAD. That is great discipline. I have not been able to do that. I eat over 3000 cals a day and just cannot stuff that much in at once. I would agree with you that your after meal numbers are fine, since you only do them once a day and the rest of the time you have good levels.

• sthubbar
    commented on 's reply
    David, I am OMAD (One Meal A Day), so I see a spike of 120-160 once per day. I'm not sure how much it really matters to be 15-30 minutes around 160 versus 120 or less, when the rest of the day is spend below 110. If anything, I may experiment eating close to 100% sugary junk food to see how high I can get that spike.

• David
    commented on 's reply
    no surprise foods huh. I am surprised at that. After I got my cheap finger stick glucometer I discovered all kinds of foods that ran my glucose levels too high. For instance A small chocolate chip cookie along with my coffee and cream sent my sugars up past 150. A small sweet potato kept me over 140 for hours on end. Even spinach gave me more glucose reaction than I thought I would have. I had suspected that low glycemic veggies would have very little impact. Turns out that isn't so.

• sthubbar
    commented on 's reply
    David, as for the glucose readings, it is exactly as everyone here has described: exercise after meals bring down BG quickly, and various increases even when not having eaten. The biggest surprise/challenge was getting the sensor active. I did not have the reader and the official app would not work with the sensor I bought because of regional restrictions. Luckily I found "Glimp S" which starts the sensor and "Glimp" to read the sensor.

• David
    replied
    Originally posted by sthubbar View Post
    mtbizzle I started my first Libre yesterday. I was able to use my Android phone and 3rd party apps to both activate and read the sensor. If your family has compatible phones, that eliminates any need for a reader.
    Very cool. I would love to have one of those. Are you seeing any surprises in how you respond to certain foods?

Leave a comment:

• Joe Reilly
    replied
    The answer is yes to 1-3. I don’t know on Q4. Give them a call. They are happy to answer any Q you have!

Leave a comment:

• sthubbar
    replied
    mtbizzle I started my first Libre yesterday. I was able to use my Android phone and 3rd party apps to both activate and read the sensor. If your family has compatible phones, that eliminates any need for a reader.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    There are videos on this topic providing some insight into what you are asking. Use the search function. The one thing I heard since those videos is that the newer 14 day Freestyle Libre is more accurate than the old one.

Leave a comment:

• Freestyle Libre - Best way to determine BG peaks, Response to meals & a few Questions

I've done an OGTT, and am now considering the Freestyle Libre as a way to better understand where I stand w/ my blood glucose (BG). I've never used finger stick glucometers or the Libre - only lab test - I've got a few questions about the Libre that I hope someone on here will know how to answer!
    • It's not hard to see that, with the single data points that come with a finger stick or other blood test, you don't get a perfect sense of either (a) how high BG spikes, or (b) how long your BG stays 'out of range'.
      • Question 1: is the Libre likely the best way to get a sense of (a) and (b)?
    • One great thing about the Libre, seems to me, is that you can see your patterns, and track how you respond to different meals & activities.
      • Question 2: The Libre is a great option for this sort of purpose, right? The 'new' Libre sensors last 14 days, so I am thinking of doing several multi-day "trials" where I eat different foods, engage in different activities to see how my BG responds. Am I right to think that the Libre be a great option for this purpose?
    • Blood glucose 'target range'?
      • Question 3: I've seen 70mg/dL - 120mg/dL mentioned as the 'ideal' glucose range, and 140mg/dL as a point where damage will start to occur. Are these good numbers to use?
    • As I'm sure many of you know, glucose issues 'run in families'. None of my family members do any self testing, but we would all like to try the Libre for the sort of purpose mentioned above.
      • Question 4: If different people wanted to use the Libre (not at the same time), could we use 1 reader, along with separate sensors? I think we would be able to get the Libre reader for $75 or so, and 3 sensors for about $62 -- much more affordable for us than 3 readers.
    Thanks
Working...
X