Announcement

Collapse

Are you really healthy?

We have an upcoming conference on November 8-9, 2019 in Louisville KY. You can register either as a Conference and CIMT participant or Conference and Assessment participant depending on whether you need a re-evaluation. For more information and/or to register online: https://go.prevmedheartrisk.com/squeeze-page

PrevMed is also offering courses online. Our first course is on Cardiovascular Inflammation and we have an upcoming course on Insulin Resistance. The course(s) can be found here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/courses...e-crd-nfl-crs1

We have also changed some of our services and price offerings which can be found on our website here: https://prevmedheartrisk.com/services-and-pricing
See more
See less

Cure Type 2 Diabetes With Sugar & White Rice - Dr. McDougall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure Type 2 Diabetes With Sugar & White Rice - Dr. McDougall

What is the simplest explanation for Type 2 Diabetes that can account for the majority of good evidence?

With the popularity of Low Glycemic Index (GI), Low Carb, Low Sugar, Keto, Paleo, Atkins, High fat, and High protein advice it seems the conventional explanation is:

Increase sugar/carb/GI -> Increased Insulin -> Diabetes

Low suger/carb/GI -> Decreased Insulin -> Healthy

This video throws seems to throw that idea out the window as it references credible evidence of massively increasing sugar to cure Type 2 diabetes.

I think this theory is something like: Fat blocks the ability of cells to absorb sugar, though I don't understand exactly how this can be.

Thoughts? Help? Agree/disagree?

Too many people since the 1980's adopted the more sugar/low fat food dogma, and look at what happened. This is junk science at best. The guy at the very beginning probably came closer to reality for some people who want to adopt a plant based diet.

Comment

fatmax and Tom,

Did either of you watch the video or even familiar with Dr. McDougall?

The impression I got from your responses was this statement is equivalent to saying the earth is flat and not worth wasting your time to even consider what is presented.

Did I get the right impression?

Comment

Did you not read my comment? Yes, I watched the video and thus my comment on the guy at the beginning. Then it spun off into never, never land. I don't say never watch anything other than what I agree with, but like everything in life be mindful of what you choose.

An additional thought. Be skeptical of anything you read, especially if it is well outside the current stream. That doesn't mean that it is wrong, but it needs some proof. Look for proof. If it is correct, over time proof will come. Unfortunately it can take a long time for that proof to change current dogma. There are lots of hand-waving folks with MDs on the Internet who have this or that to say that ultimately doesn't make scientific sense. It is very easy to get locked into trusting this or that personality for diets in particular. Study up on biology and genetics enough to be able to evaluate what is being said rather than trusting that the person is really giving you the scoop. Be most mindful of those who promise to cure this or that ailment, and only they know it (everybody else being too stupid to realize their brillance of course).
        Last edited by Tom; 04-30-2019, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Tom,

Sorry, I thought you were referring to fatmax. Maybe if we widen the discussion to Kempner that McDougall references and his Rice Diet. Here is a more specific video about that diet and how it consisted of almost only rice, plus some white sugar to reduce the amount of rice.

Wikipedia says the Rice Diet is highly successful, if boring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_diet

Again, we are back to the original question, how can high carb rice + sugar, cure diseases when the standard wisdom seems exactly opposite?

Comment

Ok,

In trying to answer this paradox, the answer may be "fasting". This article suggests that the Rice Diet, instead of being carb heavy just consisted of about 1,400 calories of carbs versus a regular meal of 1,400 calories of carbs + 1,000 calories of fat/protein. So it was the 1,000 calorie reduction that could be one of the primary reasons for the success of the diet.
            A review of the Kempner Rice Diet and why it does not support the Low Fat Argument.

Comment

fatmax,

The Virtahealth.com sure looked impressive, that is until the testimonial page is filled with morbidly obese, obese and over weight individuals. It's as convincing as a "How to get rich" program filled with testimonials from homeless people.

Dr Brewer and all of the people I have seen advocating for his program appear to be slim and in good health. I'll stick with Dr Brewer.

Comment

There are studies showing a low carb diet works and studies showing a high carb diet works. Said a different way, a high fat/low carb diet and a low fat/high carb diet both seem to work.

But I don't believe there are any studies showing a high carb, high fat diet works, and the western diet has become a high fat/high carb diet.

Comment

I must also add that the diet of choice to induce glucose resistance in lab rats is HIGH FAT diet! There is some mechanism that needs a better understanding to explain fat metabolism. I agree that keto works wonders short term for most people. But it should not be considered totally safe. Humans did not evolve on 24/7 high fat diet. Look at the health profiles of the innuit people - there are many studies in Canada. Also, If keto diets were so good, babies would get 80% or more fat in the milk from their mothers. Think about it.

Comment

You must keep in mind that the Vegan diet is a Dogmatic belief based on The Garden of Eden being a message to eat a plant based diet. You can search the 7th Day Adventist Church's origins, practices, national medical & dietary involvement, and publication industry. They also have Community & Government Medical Boards go after doctors & dietitians that do not follow the dogma. Dr. Gary Fettke is a pretty strong example of the power of this organization, http://www.nofructose.com .

The Rice Diet is always championed as early proof of a vegan diet. Well, the results have not been able to be repeated outside of the Clinic. It was a "Fat Farm" for weight reduction through caloric restriction. Patients were actually whipped into submitting to the diet to adhere to it.

Dr. McDougall's clinical data have never been shared and never stood up to review. There are many Type 2 Diabetics that have purchased his program books, followed it and had their blood sugars go from 200's to 4-500's. They screen patients for treatment so results always happen.

There is a lot of causation & correlation science in the Rice Diet & McDougall diet studies.Now if we assume that both the Rice Diet & McDougall diets do work they both exclude industrial food grade oils, refined grains, industrial food grade sweeteners, smoking, drinking, and well need I go on ? Dr. Rosendale since the 1980's has been saying don't feed diabetics carbs or sugar with results. Dr. Berstein is an 85 year old Type 1 that does not eat carbs.

Correlation & Causation are typically believed to be true when you wear a lab coat. These observations are dogmatic and not science based:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 8.25.17 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	155.1 KB ID:	1723

Last edited by Livin - in - Cincy; 05-07-2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin - in - Cincy View Post
                      You must keep in mind that the Vegan diet is a Dogmatic belief based on The Garden of Eden being a message to eat a plant based diet. You can search the 7th Day Adventist Church's origins, practices, national medical & dietary involvement, and publication industry. They also have Community & Government Medical Boards go after doctors & dietitians that do not follow the dogma. Dr. Gary Fettke is a pretty strong example of the power of this organization, http://www.nofructose.com .

The Rice Diet is always championed as early proof of a vegan diet. Well, the results have not been able to be repeated outside of the Clinic. It was a "Fat Farm" for weight reduction through caloric restriction. Patients were actually whipped into submitting to the diet to adhere to it.

Dr. McDougall's clinical data have never been shared and never stood up to review. There are many Type 2 Diabetics that have purchased his program books, followed it and had their blood sugars go from 200's to 4-500's. They screen patients for treatment so results always happen.

There is a lot of causation & correlation science in the Rice Diet & McDougall diet studies.Now if we assume that both the Rice Diet & McDougall diets do work they both exclude industrial food grade oils, refined grains, industrial food grade sweeteners, smoking, drinking, and well need I go on ? Dr. Rosendale since the 1980's has been saying don't feed diabetics carbs or sugar with results. Dr. Berstein is an 85 year old Type 1 that does not eat carbs.

Correlation & Causation are typically believed to be true when you wear a lab coat. These observations are dogmatic and not science based:

Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 8.25.17 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	155.1 KB ID:	1723

These diet wars bring out all sorts of pseudo-science hand waving of claims on why their diet is the best diet. Be open but be skeptical of the claims. As I said in an earlier posting, rarely do the proponents present their data to people who understand the science enough to provide a detailed discussion of the biology of their claims and equally plausible alternate explanations.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post

These diet wars bring out all sorts of pseudo-science hand waving of claims on why their diet is the best diet. Be open but be skeptical of the claims. As I said in an earlier posting, rarely do the proponents present their data to people who understand the science enough to provide a detailed discussion of the biology of their claims and equally plausible alternate explanations.
                        Tom,

How is Dr McDougall being pseudo-scientific by this statement?

"All large populations of trim, healthy people, throughout verifiable human history, have obtained the bulk of their calories from starch"
                        • Japanese, Chinese, and other Asians eating sweet potatoes, buckwheat, and/or rice
                        • Incas in South America eating potatoes
                        • Mayans and Aztecs in Central America eating corn
                        • Egyptians in the Middle East eating wheat
                        There have been only a few small isolated populations of primitive people, such as the Arctic Eskimos, living at the extremes of the environment, who have eaten otherwise.

Comment

• Livin - in - Cincy
                          Livin - in - Cincy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Those large populations have always been controlled by their meat eating masters... The ruling class & enforcers have been meat eaters.
                          Nobody has put people in prison, a Gulag, a Concentration Kamp, or POW camp and threatened them with a meat based diet while feeding their guards a starch based diet.
                          Ask the American Plains Indians what happened when they were placed on a Starch based diet.

• Tom
                          Tom commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have been gone a few days, and just catching up on old topics. There is a world of difference between saying that various populations have eaten a carb heavy diet to saying that eating sugar (or even only rice) will cure diabetes. The first part as you point out was reality for many cultures, the second part is some of that pseudo-science.

Livin-in-Cincy,

Ok, so you agree that if we want to live a healthy long life that a starched base diet is the way.

Historically, the microscopically small percentage of the population eating large amounts of meat suffered from gout known as 'the disease of kings', obesity, and heart disease . All of these practically unknown amongst the common folk.

What are you referring to about the American Plains Indians?

Comment

fatmax,

What makes you think that? Is it because we used to be primarily hunter/gatherers and you believe it was something like 80%hunter/20%gatherer?

Our closest relatives the bonobos/chimpanzees are still hunter/gatherers and their diet is 3%hunter/97%gatherer. That is most likely also the human diet for the 2.5 million years you reference.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-a-chimpanzee/

Maybe something like this convinced you.:

https://www.nature.com/scitable/know...mans-103874273

I see nothing here that says we increased meat consumption 25x from 3% to 75%+. More likely at best we increased meat consumption 5x to 6x from 3% to 15% to 21%.

You have something else?
                          Last edited by sthubbar; 05-08-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• sthubbar
                            sthubbar commented
                            Editing a comment
                            fatmax, Japanese snow monkeys survive the winter just fine on the 3%meat/97%other diet, there is every reason to expect ancient humans would be equally able to survive on 20%meat/80%other during the winter.
                            Last edited by sthubbar; 05-08-2019, 10:59 AM.

fatmax,
                          So you seem to accept that it is proven that a hunter/gatherer species (snow monkeys) is able to survive for millions of years with long snowy winters eating 20% or less meat. It makes no difference what the other 80% is. This simply disproves the idea that winter mandates a high meat diet.

Comment

Working...
                          X