Keto-Mojo Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keto-Mojo Users

I've had mine since February and have never really been happy with it. Recently, the readings have gotten wilder and wilder and the repeatability was virtually non-existent. Yesterday, I contacted Keto-Mojo and had a pleasant 15 minute conversation with one of their support personnel. Here is what I learned:

1) The FDA (or whatever regulatory agency oversees such things) only demands that home meters have an accuracy within 20%. She and I both agreed that was a bit absurd and pointless. Keto-Mojo tries to keep their machines calibrated within a 7%-10% accuracy range. 10% still seems rather large to me, but it is what it is.
    2) If you've bought Keto-Mojo's glucose strips recently, you'll noticed that they no longer read Hb g/dL. The reason was that the FDA was getting so many complaints over how inaccurate they were that they asked Keto-Mojo to disable that feature. Personally, I was getting readings that were normal and then 1 minute later on the same prick I would get a reading that showed severe anemia.
    3) She sent me some control solution to see if it is my machine or me. If it's my machine they will send me a new one.

Here are some tips she gave me to help narrow the range of my readings. If you're an old pro this is old news. However, I thought I'd share for anyone struggling with the issues.
    1) Wash hands with warm water and PLAIN soap (no scents or crazy additives in soap).
    2) Keto-Mojo recommends swabbing the area with alcohol, but that can contaminate the results so try with and without alcohol use to see which yields the better results.
    3) Wipe away the first drop of blood. Only use the second drop for readings.
    4) Make sure the drop of blood is 'significant' in size. Using too small of a drop of blood can skew the results.
    5) Readings from the same hand but different fingers should be within 5% of each other. However, readings between hands can vary significantly. Maybe Dr. Brewer can explain why.

If anyone knows of a better device (accurate and repeatable) than Keto-Mojo please speak up. I bought it because it got great reviews, but as I said earlier, I've never been completely happy with it.
    Last edited by James; 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM.

For testing my blood sugar, I prefer the Walmart Reli-on brand. It seems more accurate and the strips are MUCH cheaper. As for ketones, I have only ever used the Keto Mojo. So I am not sure how it compares to other ketone meters. It's disappointing that the keto mojo ketone strips are so expensive.

Comment

I agree with using a dedicated blood glucose meter. I've been using the Contour Next series recently. I've seen a lot of people doing keto that just want to get one meter, but the cost of the BG meter is basically nothing in the long term, and the strips are much cheaper. My BG meter readings are very repeatable. For ketones, I use Precision Xtra (Abbott).

Comment

This past weekend I bought a Contour Next. Its repeatability is spot on. It consistently reads 7-10 points lower than my Keto-Mojo. I got my control solution from Keto-Mojo and tested it and according to the control solution my Keto-Mojo is spot on though it still has wild repeatability issues. I now have no idea what to think or which to believe. Without being able to compare anything to lab grade results I feel like everything is just a guess.
        Last edited by James; 11-19-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X