Why Are You Here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are You Here?

I was reading a post today and it got me to thinking about the more philosophical side of this equation rather than the medical and scientific side? So it might be interesting for those so inclined to answer the following questions:

1) Why are you here?
    2) What do you hope to get out of it?
    3) What are your short-term & long-term goals?
    4) How long do you hope to live?
    5) Fill in with anything you want to share or pontificate about.

Personally, I'm in my mid-40's. I got a late start in life. I didn't marry until I was 30 (I lost a financee in an automobile accident when I was 25). I've got three kids: 8, 7, and 2 (our fabulous oopsie!) There is serious familial heart-disease on my mother's side and it looks like I unfortunately got those genes. My main goal is to try to live/eat as healthy as reasonable possible, be around and active long enough to see my kids grow up, and with any luck spend some significant time with grand-kids. On my father's side, my grandma will turn 95 this August 1. And while I think many people think living to 100 would be awesome, I'm not one of them. Even though she's always been phenomenally healthy there and was driving up to her 90th birthday, there are downsides to living that long. Her husband (my grandfather) died nearly 20 years ago. Most of her friends died at least 15 years ago, and last year she buried one of her own kids (my father) who died at 72 from multiple-myleoma. So if I could stay fit and active into my mid-80's I'd be happy with that. I don't have the genes or desire to live to be 100. Heck, even Jack LaLane didn't make it to 100. What say you?

James,

Sure, I'll kick things off:

1) Why are you here?
    - To be healthy

- Objective, reliable measure of current health status and best way forward

- Finish tests and make an action plan. Long-term possibly remarry and have more children at the age of 60

- 100 healthy would be perfect if I remarry, if not then 80 is more than enough.

5) Fill in with anything you want to share or pontificate about.
    - Thank you to all those who share.

Comment

1) Why are you here?

I have severe aortic stenosis and came across Dr Brewer's videos when doing research.

More recently learned I also have partial arterial blockage the doctor wants to "fix" when replacing aortic valve.

Knowledge, tools, knowledgeable people to share information with.

I think replacing the aortic valve is a given, but I hope I can reduce or at least stabilize arterial plaque and avoid getting a stent.

If things go as planned, I will run out of money in my early 80's.

5) I was having chest (heart area) discomfort, and when I started taking MSM (about a month ago), the discomfort went away and hasn't bothered me since. Doctors keep telling me I should start having symptoms soon (for the last 9 months), but I still am symptom free. I have lots of energy for about 10 days and then crash for 2 or 3 days. I have no idea what that is about, but in general, my stamina is better now than it has been in many years.

I am trying so many different things and any one of them may be the reason I am symptom free. According to my last 2 echo's, my AVA (aortic valve area) has actually increased. This is most likely a misinterpretation of the 1st echo, but still it gives me hope I may be helping myself. The AVA reading was severe in the 1st echo and moderate in the 2nd, and the 2nd reading was confirmed by a heart catheterization.

Comment

Working...
      X