INTRODUCTION - Looking for the basics to disseminate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INTRODUCTION - Looking for the basics to disseminate

Newbie here. I came across the famous "Brewer YouTube" videos and was hooked. Thanks Dr. Brewer. I just joined this forum. Good stuff. I was impressed by the activity and perceptive and dedicated membership. I've learned a lot and hope to be able to contribute.

My body: It's almost 75 chronological years old and slightly overweight (5'9" 190lbs).

Habits: I'm no jock, but exercise fairly regularly with the goal of turning in a respectable time in my annual 5k which I sponsor for 20 plus family members each year. Diet is average to good. Non smoker. I like wines and liquors, but cut back significantly.

Wake up call to mortality: In spite of "normal" lipid and glucose history dating back 35 years in company physicals, I noticed some angina during strenuous exercise and required a stent (90% occlusion in LAD) at age 71 (3 years ago). Uneventful recovery, but became interested in causes of plaque buildup, especially since it was totally hidden from me. All the cardio docs told me everything looked great and "come back in 6-12 months." Come to think of it, they all told me the same thing before the stent intervention.

About 6 months ago, my glucose/A1C numbers crept into "pre-diabetic" territory, so I bought a glucose meter and am pricking away trying to make sense of it all. It's all about "area under the curve" with the tops clipped !

The mission: A white paper (perhaps 3-4 pages) describing in plain English (assuming zero prior knowledge) the progressive and insidious mechanism of atherosclerosis and diabetes and how to minimize the effects on your life. Seems that almost everyone over age 50 should be interested. Outline:
    1. How atherosclerosis happens
    2. How you get diabetes (focus on pre and Type 2)
    3. Interrelationship of plaque and diabetes and effect on life span
    4. How to diagnose and track
    5. What can be done about it

Audience:
    1. Primarily myself to remind myself what I'm dealing with and to formulate a plan.
    2. All English speakers who do not have ANY knowledge of medical terms

I hope to use other members to review and comment (see my other post for a foundation graphic). Maybe some of it is already done?

I am comfortable with science and quantitative methods, but have no formal training in medicine.

Any support or words of wisdom very much appreciated.
    Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the forum Quanticus. Unfortunately, there is a wide range of opinions concerning your questions and what the best path forward is. What makes it all the more frustrating is everyone seems to have valid scientific research to validate their claims. For decades CVD was successfully treated (and in some cases reversed) by the likes of Esselystyn and Ornish with high-carb low/no fat diets. Recently, there has been a push that says they got it wrong and you should eat high fat low carb diets. However, what any individual person responds to the best seems to be closely tied to individual genetics. Are you APOE 4? Does your body metabolize fat well? As well as about a thousand other questions. The uber simple plan that probably most would agree with here is to avoid sugar and simple carbs (pasta, breads, etc) and grains at all cost. Have an OGTT test done to see if you are diabetic and don't rely on the A1c alone. Nearly everyone here takes at least 5mg of Crestor and 2,000mg of Niacin as their daily routine. Keep your BMI<25 and get in HIIT (high-intensity interval training) 2-3 times a week. Other than that pretty much everyone is guessing, doing lots of blood work, and seeing what they respond to best. The CIMT and CAC are good ways of seeing how your disease is either progressing or regressing. Which is better is a matter of opinion. If you've got between $3K-$5K lying around you could become a patient of Dr. Brewer's and take some of the learning curve off. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. ;-)

Comment

• sthubbar
      sthubbar commented
      Editing a comment
      James, solid advice.

Quanticus,

You mention "I came across the famous "Brewer YouTube" videos and was hooked." How about instead of writing a white paper you do the same. Start creating short 5-10 minute videos about the topics you outline. I suspect you would reach thousands or even millions more people than any white paper.

Comment

Welcome. I agree, by the way, re: videos vs white papers.

Comment

Working...
      X