Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Natural Cholesterol Given to Me by Dr...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Natural Cholesterol Given to Me by Dr...

Hi All,
    My cardiologist just gave me the following new cholesterol regimen after I could not tolerate Niacin :-(
    and I want to try alternative approach to conventional Statin.
    I am very happy to share this with all the awesome people on this forum! :-)

1.) Red Rice Yeast
    2.) CoQ10
    3.) Citrus Bergamoth

Latest non statin blood work is Total Cholesterol 138, LDL 97, HDL 33, Trig 103, Lpa 97, Ldl-p 1446, CRP 1.2, homocysteine 7.2, home-ir .9
    I have ccs on high-extensive border. I am basically plant based but eat healthy fats with nuts, avocados and keep oil as low as I can and exercise hard aerobically 5x/week (stairmaster).
    The citrus bergamot supposed to be quite good and is being shipped to me as I write this. Some complain about bad heartburn from bergamot, and
    I have heartburn and currently take nexium at times for, so I'm crossing my fingers here.

As a final note the dr. talked about maybe crestor 5mg QOD (every other day), but wanted to see how I did here first.

I welcome all commentary here of course.

title should say "New Natural Cholesterol Regimen Given to Me by Dr..."
    Oh well, ya'll get the idea :-)

Comment

Bergamot did nothing for me. Red yeast rice you will be told here is iffy at best because the FDA can't control what the companies but in them and how much you truly get.. but I guess it's better than nothing if like me, your doc won't prescribe a low dose statin.

Comment

Hi Robin and thank you for your feedback here. I was on lipitor 10 mg daily with great results. Had a few side effects albeit not terrible and new dr. wanted to try
        me on some natural alternatives. He already said if this doesn't work he'll put me on crestor 5 mg every other day due to long half life and my strict diet and exercise.

Comment

My doc won't give me a statin and I won't take the niacin any longer due to my liver not liking it. Sooooooooooooooooooooo LOL. I'm on my own.

Comment

FWIW: Dr. Brewer has said in several of his videos that red rice yeast contains some of the exact elements found in statins. So basically red yeast rice = taking a statin. The only difference is the amount of the active ingredient in the red yeast rice varies from batch to batch and is an unknowable variable.

Comment

James,
              Point taken and I understand. Lovastatin is one of the weakest statins ever made. Red rice yeast is technically a natural source of statins, but unlike pharmaceutical
              products, it provides a mix of these compounds rather than a single one. The complex mixture interacts with the body more smoothly and is less likely to cause toxicity.
              Also the dose of monaco lin K in red rice yeast is much less than lovastatin.
              I'll see how it works for me. If not I'll use Crestor 5mg QOD.

Comment

• mtbizzle
                mtbizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Is there any research on the point that red yeast rice "provides a mix of these compounds rather than a single one. The complex mixture interacts with the body more smoothly and is less likely to cause toxicity" ?

I've never heard anything like that, and I'm skeptical, but I know multiple people (don't we all) who take Statins, so I'd love to hear more.

My thought, nasty as it sounds, has always been that Red Yeast Rice amounts to little more than a way for patients to be willing/happy to take a statin, and that, as a statin, it's not a very great option compared to the other choices, since you have very little control/knowledge of your dose, variability between doses, it's not considered a particularly effective statin, and so on...

Re. Crestor - Dr Brewer describes himself as running a 'cardiovascular inflammation' youtube channel -- and some of the theory/research behind all of this, I believe, is based off of some major studies that were done showing that Crestor (rosuvastatin) significantly reduces inflammation, heart attack, stroke, etc. As far as I'm aware, it's 'the cardiovascular inflammation prescription'.
                So in short -- if you have any/some of the risk factors / markers of cardiovascular inflammation that Dr Brewer talks about - Rosuvastatin is likely a good choice.
                Last edited by mtbizzle; 03-12-2019, 04:26 AM.

The above concerning red rice yeast was from Dr. Andrew Weil MD who is one of more holistic MD's. I truthfully don't know how much hope I have for red rice yeast but will give it my
              best effort. So is life my friends, SO IS LIFE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                My doc won't give me a statin and I won't take the niacin any longer due to my liver not liking it. Sooooooooooooooooooooo LOL. I'm on my own.
                I am shocked that your doc won't give you a statin. Most doctors hand them out like candy!

BTW, my doc has prescribed bergamot for me. My MACR ratio was normal, but a high normal. Doc thinks that bergamot might lower the ratio. We'll see.

Comment

Hey gang, Had to stop bergamot as it was giving me heartburn, which is reported side effect of citrus bergamot.
                  Still on red rice yeast at 1200 mg a day. Dr. said 2400 mg a day but I read about many people having good results with 1200 mg a day with strict diet.
                  My dr. said I am a big time statin responder since lipitor 10 took my LDL-C to 47, so we'll see what Red rice yeast might do for me.
                  If that doesn't do it I'll go on crestor 5mg every other day.

Comment

What's your target goal with the RYR? Check liver enzymes in a month or so.

Comment

HI Robin,
                      Had to abandon the RYR protocol. Was giving me acidy stomach and heartburn.
                      Dr decided to put me on low dose lipitor (10 mg.) every other day, as I responded very well to it in the past when I took it for 9 months.

Comment

Sounds like a good doctor.

Comment

I agree with James. Yes, with RYR, you are taking an old-school statin. Yet, you don't have the same level or research or quality control backing it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X